Lacrosse Area Ice?

• VikeFan

I am going to be up in MN for a few days this week–is there still decent ice on Lawrence Lake, or any of the other shallow backwaters around Lacrosse and Winona? I’d like to get one more ice trip in if it is safe to do so.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

As of yesterday, there was open water at the end of fishermans road.
    I checked schaffers (north end of L. Onalaska) last saturday and there was abt 6-7 inches.
    With the cold weather you might be able to find safe ice somewhere, but be careful.
    IMO I would skip Lawrence, too long of a walk over ice that may be soft. I would think that Schaffers would be a better bet. Good luck and be safe.

witte
    West Salem, WI

I was on Lawrence last friday morning and when we came off around 11am we could feel the ice bowing under our feet when we got w/i 40 yds of shore. The ice was fine in the middle (5-6) inches but bad over the weed beds by shore. Then, it was 65 degrees on sat. I too would stick to Lake Onalaska.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

they have still been fishing goose island. Easy walk out, a good 5 inches of ice (i hear), and if you fall through its 3 feet at max. I hear they are catching fish steadily, but dang i would rather be on soft water at this point. still waiting for my favorite backwater to open up!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.