Pool 8 mixed bag

• mikehd
    Dousman, WI

On an absolutely great day to be on the late season ice George, Steve, JP Mason and Bret Clark and I ventured out on a pool 8 bay before dawn in search of “subject material” for this post. I was also anxious to try my new LX-3 (thanks Scott for the good deal ) and George was waiting to “test drive” my Vexilar. The day started rather slow with the group spread out and some crappies and perch being caught in 4 – 6 FOW and Bret losing “something nice” – he hates that! As has been the case some days lately, we were marking fish but trying to figure out what they want? At about 9:00 a.m. JP, Bret, Steve and I moved into deeper water, Swiss cheesed the area in anywhere from 11 to 20’ FOW and gave that a try. Several small saugers, a sucker, a couple of “something nice” fish lost and a small pike were caught. This 24” “snot rocket” was caught in 18 FOW on a blue forage minnow tipped with a minnow head. It was pretty much a mixed bag of lures tried and it seemed every time you switched up you could get some interest. There were a lot of fish marked in the deep water and at times the whole screen would fill up. The new LX-3 worked great – it was a good purchase. George stayed pretty much on the crappies and his success is on the next post.

Once again a great day on the ice with you guys – George, Steve, JP and Bret – it’s always a blast and it was an awesome day to be out.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

George had 16 nice crappies iced when I had to leave and I think I have a buyer for the Vexilar. Us “boys” sure do like our toys. Great mess of crappies George.

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

Great report, mike
    Looks like you boys had fun yesterday, Bret just thinks he has a big one on all the time

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It was a blast Mike. To bad we didn’t get some of the other fish we had on to the top of the ice I guess some fish are just camera shy

My hits were coming on both, a Forage minnow and Swedish Pimple tipped with a minnow head or tail. I had 2 short eye’s and 2 very cute little saugers. We drilled alot more holes than what we had for fish

Still, it was a great day outside, no wind and sun shine made hole jumping easy. Thanks again for the company guys

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Nice report Looks like you guys had a good day What’s with this George and crappie? Everytime I see him he has a nice mess of crappie on the ice Looks like we are going to get some warm weather coming, so late ice should be coming soon

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

George is the Crappie Meister

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.