I’m Impressed

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

We made a pretty good deal of ice since last week. Today i got to sneak of to goose island for a little bit to fish. I started under the bridge that you cross when you are coming in. I was getting crazy looks like wow that ice looks thin, but surprisingly, when i got out i found it to be about 4-5″ thick. I expected 2-3″ to be all that was there. This area has ton’s of current and thats why i had to leave. I couldn’t keep the jig in one spot and it was so far south of me, it wouldn’t show up on the lx-3 screen. I had to move the flasher back about 6 feet and drill another hole and watch it from where i was because the jig was so far away from where i actually dropped it down due to the current over 17 feet of water. I moved on to a different current area, looking for 4-6 fow, but i decided against venturing out too far. Here, there was only about 2-1/2 inches of ice and i was only about 15 feet from shore so it was only about 1-1/2 fow. I moved back to a protected slough area and drilled a few holes. I was using the marcum in very shallow water: 3 feet. I managed to catch some fish but nothing of size. I mostly wanted to get out and try the bridge to see if anything was in there. According to the flasher, there were some fish moving by, but nothing was willing to bite, and the current was a pain in the butt I managed to catch 3 crappies, 1 perch and 2 gills in about 20 minutes of fishing that one last spot. They were all small. Like i said though, we made a lot of ice. The first 2 spots were open mid week,last week.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

this is the area that i was fishing and the ice that i was on.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

heres the ice. There was really crappy ice on top, but it was nice considering how quick it froze up. the whole area was open water just before the snow storm. i fished it (open water) a couple weeks ago actually

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was surprised on the Croix too…after last weekend. Really made some ice quick.

BUT,

the way this winters going make use of it while it’s still safe…couple more weeks and it’ll be time to start mowing the lawn!

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

CADE,

BE VERY CAREFUL IN THAT AREA, JUST THINK WHAT THE CURRENT WOULD DO TO YOU IF YOU BROKE THROUGH, (YOUR JIG WAS DOWN STREAM THE SAME AS YOU WOULD BE) CURRENT AND ICE DO NOT PAIR WELL TOGETHER CAN CHANGE FROM DAY TO DAY.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

don’t worry, i was very cautious getting out and all. There was a good 4-6 inches so i wasn’t too concerend about falling through.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Best to be safe than sorry. Current shaves away at the ice underneath and it can be 4-6 inches in one place and only 2 inches somewhere else. Especially where there is a spring. Plus by a bridge its always more current. No fish is worth your life Cade.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.