The ice is never 100% safe!

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was fishing a lake recently and after punching a half dozen holes…felt very comfortable after finding no less than 8 inches of ice.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

After about an hour of fishing and moving around…a foot went through the ice! Thought it was a froze over hole at first…but then realized it was just plain and simple…thin ice!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m thinking it may have been more serious had I drove my wheeler over it on my way out. The angle of the camera makes the hole further away from the wheeler than it was. I’m guessing it was about 12 foot away from the front tire.

Always follow good ice saftey rules!

gat
    Glopaint,Capital Northwest Wisc.

Looks like you had walked across that area before by the foot print is there a current there? Glad to hear you made it off safe.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Me too gat. Found out later there’s a spring there.

The ice around it is good…it’s just that aprox 3′ x 3′ area that is…a little wet.

It was an odd feeling when you step down and hear the breaking of ice…then a quick little skip to the right foot…turn around and there’s a hole!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Wow,…you are fortunate Brian!! Glad to hear you are ok- that is so weird, the SAME EXACT thing happened to me and a buddy tonight- Andy and Trevor, and I were fishing on a pond tonight, Andy left a bit before Trevor and I. Trevor and I were walking back across the ice, in order to leave, and his foot broke through..the rest of the pond had a solid six inches everywhere. Must have been a spring…

col._klink
    St Paul

Geesh MR. K, take er easier out there.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

“Fisher Sherry’s” father had a similar situation years back, but it WAS an ice hole.. he soon realized his foot was stuck in the hole.. so he repositioned the other foot to get better leverage to pull the 1st foot out..

This might have worked better if the other foot didnt step into a 2nd ice hole next to the 1st(both feet stuck.

I guess it took a couple guys and some tweaking to get his legs out.

This is not relavent to the post.. but it was the 1st thing that came to mind…

be safe out there everyone.. open water will be here soon!

fishinfool
    mn

That may have been a bad thing at the time, but reading it now I just gotta laugh at the thought of a guy with both feet stuck in a ice hole. My friend tripped one year while pheasant hunting from a gopher hole and I almost peed my pants laughing watching 350lbs take a digger in 3 ft weeds. FISHINFOOL

scottsteil
    Central MN

Whew…for a minute I thought your LX-5 went down

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.