sharpening jiffy blades?

• AkDan

I’ve heard you can do these at home easily enough where as the eskimo’s and strikemasters are almost impossible to sharpen. Is there any truth to this statement?

I’m looking at buying a jiffy just for this reason. Need a 10″ hole to fish these lakers. Either the model 31 or 30. Leaning towards the 31.

Any problems with the jiffy line?

col._klink
    St Paul

I bought the new stleath! WOW is all I can say. Do not really need that much power (3hp) but it is nice! And the only drawback for me is the weight that thing is super heavy. Not something in my opinion I would be carrying on my back.

But other than that what a aguer. More like an ice destroyer!!

elheldt
    N E Iowa

I am on my third season on the Jiffy Stealth, 3 HP. I can see no reason to sharpen it yet. Well satisfied with it

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I run a 2hp Jiffy legend!! One of the reason’s that I run one is cause of the abilty to remove and sharpen the blade myself!! I drill alot of holes in a season and use a stone on the blade once a year!! It cut’s super fast!!!

Lazer Mag, or Strikemasters need to have the blades replaced! check the price of new blades for them lately? $$$$

just my 2 cents!! I like my Jiffy!!!

AkDan

After doing quite a bit of digging. The only 10’s locally are the model 31 and model 30. They are priced 100 bucks plus a little over reeds or marine general’s regular price. Can’t fathom what they’d charge for the STX. Really wanted the stx but with shipping and the cost of the auger it’s highly unlikely I’ll be able to afford it.

Just looked at prices for jiffy blades, boy they are sure proud of all their stuff, augers, blades and everything in between! how’s the customer service?

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

The number one reason I own Jiffy is the blades. Think of it this way. When trout fishing you catch the trout. Before touching it you make certain to wet your hands so as not to harm the delicate fish. You remove the barbless hook from its tender lips and gently let it back to the stream. Then there is the mighty carp. You catch the carp, rip the hook from its mouth (before wetting hands) and throw the brute back into the water. As your bait hits the water that dirty carp is right there again to smack the hook and send your drag screaming. What’s this have to do with augers? I nearly forgot, lol.

The Jiffy is a lot like the carp. Use it and use it and use it. It doesn’t care if your hands are wet, or if you rip the hook from it’s mouth. If you damage the blade on your Jiffy you can repair it right on the ice in a few minutes and be on your way. Not so with the fancy bladed other brands. When sharp all brands cut great. When not sharp one brand can be resharpened. The other can’t. Like the price on Jiffys blades? Check into those curved units once, youch!

My Model 30 is 12 this year. I can’t drill a single hole to check depth without cutting 5-6 more. I have drilled THOUSANDS of holes, no doubt, and am using the first replacement blade I bought when the auger was new. I took the OEM blade off because it was uneven. I still have said OEM blade in my truck in case it is needed one the ice. Never has been yet. These blades last forever if you keep a keen edge on them and don’t drill holes for the mailbox post come spring.

col._klink
    St Paul

Wow. I was so impressed with your story I wanted to go out and hug my Jiffy. God I love that thing!!

AkDan

Well we went out today. Still was hoping I could get the 1 and ONLY STX in Alaska but I am going to just let it go and settle for the model 31 10″ tomorrow.

We had to stop to lay out a set line for burbot while we went farther to a lake to fish for char and bows.

So we proceeded to drill with my buds Eskimo Barracuda.

First hole…

We bottomed out with a 12″ exstension. yes FIFTY FOUR INCHES of solid ice on a river none the less and we still didn’t hit water!!!

Second hole, he managed to get down to about 3′ when she stopped cutting. We were drilling a glacier river (silt). Somewhere in the process of drilling his blades went bad. Took a look at them and you could see where they heated up and must have softened the metal to the point she’s duller then a willow stick. Not good considering we were headed out to fish bows and char right after this lil ‘excursion’. Good thing one of the other guys also had a cuda.

I am sold on the jiffys on the blades alone. Heck I can’t get the auger I wanted shipped up here without going through a hoola dance. Can you imagine waiting 2 weeks or longer for blades???? I’d be suffering major withdrawls!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve been sharpening my own Jiffy blades for over 10 years. That’s one of the main reasons I own one along with the fact they just plain run good and last forever. There’s not a better auger out there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.