finicky lakers and char

• AkDan

Well I’ve been chasing lakers pretty hard. Landed one last week on a 3.5″ white salt and pepper tube jig.

lots of fish looking but very very few hitting.

I did today do a bait and switch. The locals are using krocidile spoons almost exclusively so when in rome do like the romans, I picked up a few. Seems I attract more fish but have a heckuva time getting ANY (so far any refers to zero) bites. Been marking fish in everything from 40′ of water down to 75′. So I rigged up two rods today. One with a black tube jig and one with the 1oz kroc spoon. Jigged the spoon till I marked fish and wala I had a hit.

A guy did however catch a nice laker on a airplane jig today, though this feat sounds pretty irregular for this lake.

So on an ALL sandy lake (very few weeds and no deep weeds I can find at this point, and ZERO rock piles. What would you fish for finicky lakers with.

I want to add, I did mark some fish in 75′ of water, suspended to about 50′. I think these the least ciscoes that are in the lake however have no way of knowing as I cannot get anything to bite. I’ve been jigging near these figuring there must be SOMETHING here holding these fish as they are in the same exact hole almost every time and do move in and out of my LX-5. Drilled a series of holes around this bait pile and only two of many holes had fish. My buddy being the impatient fella he is we moved. This is also the area I did catch my laker last week in.

Lastly I have some 4″ silver tubes that I think would work well on a bait and switch situation. Bring them in from a distance with the spoon and in a seperate but close hole have the tube waiting on the bottom or hanging suspended. Drop the spoon to the bottom or reel partially up and jig like mad with the tube jig. SOund feasable? I had heard of running a 3 way with a weight and streamer fly that simulates a baitfish. Has anyone tried this? This might be just the ticket for catching these fussy fish as I know no one else is doing it.

Need some help in turning the tide here. 1 fish, 5 days of fishing of two bites. Atleast a little

AkDan

anyone?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Do you have any Sonars? I use them quite often for lakers when I am able to target them. I start on the bottom, and reel up like mad! I then stop and pause. Watch the depth finder closely to see if you have followers. I would usually go 8-10 feet at a crack, as fast as you can reel. Often times they will hit on the pause, otherwise it may take a few zips to get them to sign the contract! It may be worth a try. When are we going to see some pics from up there?
    Tuck

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Are you able to tip your jigs with strips of sucker belly? If so, give that a try. OR fresh dead whitefish or similar might turn those lookers into biters.

AkDan

Pictures….well that is kind of a sore subject as I lost our $600 digital camera on the first ever laker trip. If not I would have had a laker to show and tell on my 2nd trip.

Yup I have the lx-5 and I am marking fish. They show interest but wont take. Aggressivly or passively. I am also tipping every now and then with whitefish. Have tried herring though they seem to spook from it. Have some squid I am going to give a go today (slept in, ugg).

These lakers are fished pretty hard all year by the sounds of things. There are some pretty darn dedicated guys fishing that water and only a couple will talk, who knows if they are telling the truth. Either way a bite a day and you’re doing by far better then anyone else on the lake. The bait and switch deal with the spoons and tube jigs so far has been giving my best results. Caught my only laker on a tube, and had a hit doing the bait n switch that I managed to miss.

As for sucker bellies. I do not have access to them as I have no clue where to get them. Fish and game here locally is not of much help in this regards. Or atleast the people I’ve talked to, that or they don’t want you out catching them for bait lol. (even though it is legal!).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.