Going up to Mille Lacs for the first time.

• MURPHY
    WEST BEND , IA

I am thinking about heading up to mille lacs for the very first time. I am from Iowa, but just thought i would ask if anyone had any info on where to stay, the ice conditions,the fishing and the best way to get there from like algona iowa any info would be greatly appreciated.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

as far as a place to stay, call george at hunters point resort 320-676-3227, tell him that you were refered from the IDA web site. the ice conditions have been good, i have been driving my pick-up all over the lake. just remember that the ice conditions change daily and to check with a resort before you drive out. ice is never safe!!! as far as how to get here, start driving north. the lake is about 90 miles north of minneapolis. from minneapolis take 94 to rogers, from rogers take 101 to elk river. in elk river 101 turns into highway 169. stay on 169 to onamia. when you get to onamia you are at the southwest corner of the lake. from there you can get anywhere, you just need someplace to go to….tom f

MURPHY
    WEST BEND , IA

Thank you much for the info. Do they have houses out on the lake that you rent from them and if you could tell me approximately how much$

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

Yes there’s lot’s of houses for rent up there. I just got back after renting a sleeper during the week day rate of $100.00 at Hunter’s. You can rent 12 hour houses from about $60.00 week day rate, higher for weekends.

Bring your own sled and pay from $8.00 to 10.00 to drive out from the resorts.

I’ve tried Lyback’s the first time and did good think it was Banana reef. At Hunters saw a ton of fish on the Aqua View: Crstal Clear Images out at 2 mile reef south (wow) just picky perch. The little nibblers were challenging.

Let me know if you want to share the expenses, I want to go back again I’ve checked and there are several Motels up there which charge 35.00 to 40.00 per night. Hope this info helps…

col._klink
    St Paul

Stay out of a motel in town!! Otherwise you will go broke!! Motels in town are a lot cheaper!! Plus you can drive anywhere and fish out of your portable!! That will give you the chance to chase em instead of waiting em!!

MURPHY
    WEST BEND , IA

Thanks guys for all the info. Very appreciated.

tiger81
    MN.

CONTACT SCOTT STEIL. HE IS A GUIDE UP THERE AND REALLY KNOWS HIS STUFF! HE ALWAYS HAS REAL GOOD “IN-DEPTH” REPORTS.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.