Who says they aren’t biting?- Pool 8-

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I fished a very deep backwater area today to see if i could find some crappies,gills and perch. I fished this spot last night and took home a dozen fish with a mix of crappies and gills. we did ok last night but today was great.Started fishing the same holes from last night and it was pretty slow so we started moving around trying to get into a few. I put a couple on the ice early but nothing special. I moved a little ways and bam. I put 5 or 6 fish on the ice in about 15 minutes but surprisingly, the gills were the majority in this hole, and i only caught 1 crappie in this one. Fishing seemed relatively slow and most people were saying the same thing. So my friend carson and I took off and went way across the bay to another area. We were hundreds of yards away from everybody. pop a few holes, put the flashers in and looky here. We got fish in about 10 fow. They turned out to be gills. I put about 7 or 8 nice gills in the sled and We caught a few small perch with only one keeper perch coming to the ice hole. it got slow again so we headed back to where we started. We had the most fish out of anyone there and guys were flipping to see how many we had, even though we didn’t have a ton, i think we had 18 at this point. We started fishing the same holes we started in and couldn’t get ’em to go, so we did something crazy. We headed out to the middle, where there is lots of current and drilled a few holes. we were just feet away from ice that was no more than an inch thick, if not less, and we were sitting on 3″ of ice over 28 fow. Don’t be scared, as one guys said, no guts no glory. it paid off and i started slaying the heck out of the crappies. I caught a ton of bluegills too, and most were 7-8 inchers. For the first time, i was disappointed to see an 8 inch bluegill come to the hole because i wanted those crappies. It was a really fun day and im patiently waiting for next weekend. I can’t begin to describe how much fun i had fishing this weekend. Its enough to go out and catch around 70 crappies and gills with more than half being keepers, but to be fishing in that deep water was something else. It was a blast to be fighting a big crappie for that long, while at my normal spots, you set the hook and basically jerk them out of the hole because its so shallow. I really had a great time and i can’t wait to do it again.
    Big fish Honors was a tie for 2 12″ crappies. These were nice fish, but we still are looking for the true slabs that we know are lurking through this area. When i get a 14″er, ill let you know
    Hope everybody else had a good weekend.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

ALmost forgot to add what i was using. I never switched baits once. i caught them all on a tear drop shaped jig which was pink and white, tipped with a mousie. I couldn’t get ’em to go with a waxie or red worm or anything and I think Carson found that out the hard way. he caught some fish, but there was no comparison. Sorry Carson, next time we’ll have to make sure to get a ton of mousies! Heres some of the nicest crappies of the day.

*I edited this post. I had a better picture of us with the fish so i changed it. Same fish, just a different picture that gets the whole pile in the pic .

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

heres a nice mess of ’em. trust me, this is just a sample. I think there are 27 or 28, something like that. I gave several fish away and released a whole ton of keepers as well.
    Good luck,
    Peace

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Way to go Cade
    I agree, there is a good bite on pool 8 yet. Finding areas that have not seen pressure, and getting away from the crowd is working for me also

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

looks like you guys had a great day

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Looks like a VERY fun day on the ice for crappies.
    Thanks, Bill

twedul
    Holmen, WI

Way to go “Machine”!!! Keep up the good work. Ted

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.