Pool 8 Crappie Bite

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I fished a very deep backwater slough today with my friend carson to see if we could get into some crappies. We set up right away and it didn’t take long to connect. Carson caught the first fish which was a keeper crappie. I caught a keeper crappie myself and then it got slow for me. Carson continued to catch a couple more crappies and 3 or 4 gills. I moved and dropped my little mic down the hole. I saw a fish come in really quickly on the Lx-3 and he nailed the bait. The fight was on and it gave a good fight. The best part was that i was sitting in 19 foot of water and i got to play the fish all the way to the hole which was a blast. this was my biggest fish of the day which was not huge, but it was an 11 incher. It got really slow in the afternoon, but then at about 4:30 ish it started to pick up again. Carson and i positioned in 27 feet of water and started catching a few. I probably ended up icing 15 fish for the day which doesn’t sound like a lot, but most were crappies and i only had to release one fish that was too small. It was a fun day for sure. The ice was more than a foot thick down there and there were probably 10 other people total out. some guys caught some very nice perch on sweedish pimples w/ minnows and an occasional 14″ bass was thrown in. I missed one fish on a jigging rap and that was it. One last thing, The crappies for the most part were suspended all day from 7-14 feet over 20-27 feet, but i started catching them down to about 15-20 feet a little later. By the end of the night the fish were scattered all over the water collum.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

here are the 2 biggest crappies i took home. the one on the left is 11″

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I took home a mix of fish including 4 gills and 8 crappies. A dozen fish is enough for me to clean. Carson took home 7 or 8 for himself.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Very nice crappies Cade. I bet you are enjoying the colder temps which thicken the ice so it last longer.
    Thanks, Bill

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

You bet im enjoying them bill. Im heading out to the same spot in the next 20 minutes..waiting for Carson to get here
    Cya later! ill have a report tonight

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

You bet im enjoying them bill. Im heading out to the same spot in the next 20 minutes..waiting for Carson to get here
    Cya later! ill have a report tonight

What a life. Fish Fish and more Fish. What a life.

Gee, to be young again.

Thanks, Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.