Minnow Trucks

• fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

I was at the Bateman Citgo on Wensday morning and when we pulled up there was this goofy looking Mitsubishi truck, just an old beater. We walked by it and a guy was scooping minnows from the tanks in the back. It was a minnow truck from some bait retailer in Stevens Point. I never knew thats how they transported bait to the difffernt shops. Very cool.

http://www.gollonbait.com/

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

It’s too bad that station has a hard time keeping minnows alive. They admit they struggle with it. They let me scoop my own most of the time, which I think is cool. Not many places like that anymore.

Sully

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Jason, you ever use them Rosey Reds?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Funny you bring up the Rosey Reds. I used them Thurs’ and Friday on Saulk Lake and have never seen them before. The bait dealer in Saulk Center distrubutes them and the guy I was with said they’re really good on Walleye’s up there.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Those bait trucks are kinda cool. They have a few oxygen tanks for the water and hold tons of bait..

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

How did they work for you Chappy?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

We caught a few Crappies on them actually. The buddy say’s they’re killer on the Walleye’s. I think he said they were only $3.25 a scoop.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Jason, you ever use them Rosey Reds?

I have not used them. I remember them coming around 4 years ago in MN and never tried them. I thought there was a debate as to it’s legality in MN. Something about them being exotic, I’m not real sure about the basis of the debate.

Sully

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Are they exotic? That web site said they were crossbreed of a fat head and something else.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

They are fatheads that are fed orange colored algae. Similar to how colored maggots are made.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

They are fatheads that are fed orange colored algae. Similar to how colored maggots are made.

I’m not sure if that is true.

It seems that Rosy red minnows are a mutant color phase of fat head minnows and are naturally occurring. A fish dealer in Arkansas developed these fat head mutants back in the 70’s.

Here is a link with some info.

Rosy Red Minnow Facts

Sully

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I had heard something to that fact as well. I think your right, they may be reared in ponds naturally. I cant remember what the guy told me when I was in the bait business. I remember him saying something about orange plants and the minnows always came in buckets with scrap orange algae.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Whats the difference between Pro Staff, and Field Staff?

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Derek makes money fishing and I dream about making money fishing.

Pro Staff are guides and pro’s.

Sully

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Seems a little weird to me, its like putting a gold fish on your line. I personally haven’t tried them yet. However if positive report from them in an area, I guess I would have to break down and purchase some.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Derek makes money fishing and I dream about making money fishing.

There aint no money in this business…

mb757
    Dodgeville, WI

If you think the trucks are interesting you should see the operation up close. We have a brother of the Gollons of Stevens Pt. that has a simular but separate operation. They have at least 20 ponds around on the bait farm not to mention Arkansas. They also raise game fish for small and large stocking programs. Dave said at one time they sold quite a few fingerlings to MN. They also can manipulate their brood stock to spawn at any time, they use retired cheese vat’s to control the temp. It makes you appreciate the lowly minnow.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Quote:

It makes you appreciate the lowly minnow.

Yeah, to think all theve been through in their life.

Born, minnow pond, netted, bumpy ride in truck, bait pen, scooped in bait bucket, hooked, stuffed down hole and hopefully ate by large Pike.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.