Winona Ice Update?

• VikeFan

I can’t believe I have to ask this on January 31…but what is the ice like on the backwaters around Winona? I am hoping to fish Bartlett Lake, AKA the Airport Lake, on Friday, but the ice out there can be tricky under less-than-ideal conditions like these.

j_ericks
    Winona, MN

Actually Bartlet lake is a different lake then Airport I was out on Bartlet last week and the ice was about 7″ but it’s probably a little less now. I know of a few other spots that have some good ice, if you want you can shoot me a PM and i’ll let you know more

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Bartlett had closer to 4″ when we fished it Friday……open water infront of the landing ……we walked down the shore and walked straight across to the island.

we were the only two out there then…….with the rain Saturday it might be sketchy .

Fishing was slow too

VikeFan

Quote:

Actually Bartlet lake is a different lake then Airport I was out on Bartlet last week and the ice was about 7″ but it’s probably a little less now. I know of a few other spots that have some good ice, if you want you can shoot me a PM and i’ll let you know more

You’re right–the actual “Airport Lake” in Winona is the little pit by TRW. There are some very nice sunnies in the “real” Winona Airport Lake, but the ice on there is iffy in a good winter.

Most of the locals call Bartlett Lake the “airport lake/backwaters”, or they did when I lived in Winona, which is not that long ago.

Seriously, thanks for the responses. Since I no longer live in the area, I rely on reports like this when I head up to MN, especially for ice fishing. I do my best to re-pay them by giving fishing/ice reports when I am back in the Winona area.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

You’re right–the actual “Airport Lake” in Winona is the little pit by TRW. There are some very nice sunnies in the “real” Winona Airport Lake, but the ice on there is iffy in a good winter.

you guys ever fish that pit in the winter time? A couple weeks ago me and a buddy drilled about 30 holes all over that thing…..went searchin with the marcum and never marked a fish ……so we never even put a line down.

I never have seen anyone ice fishing out there……that may be the reason

VikeFan

Never tried that pit in the winter, and never saw anyone else try. I am surprised you didn’t mark any fish–in the summer I pulled nice sunnies and largemouth, as well as a dogfish and a Northern, from there.

On the subject of off-the-beaten-path spots in the Winona area, has anyone ever tried ice-fishing Goodview Lake? According to the DNR survey report, there are some nice gamefish in that water, too. Every summer I mean to put my boat in there and get an idea of where some cover and structure is, but I never get around to it.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Have not been out to Bartlets for a few weeks, but I did hit the PI road last friday. There was a bit of water on top but seemed to have good ice, 6+ inches.
    Caught some nice gills in a short period of time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.