Sheriff’s Close Lakes to car/truck traffic

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

From the MN DNR….

Quote:

We have received notification today from the Dakota County Sheriff’s Office that they have closed all lakes in the county to car and truck traffic. Questions: Dakota County Sheriff’s Office at (651) 438-4770

In addition, the Goodhue Co. Sheriff has closed (to cars and trucks) their portion of Byllesby Reservoir, in conjunction with Dakota County, and also Frontenac Pond (in Florence Township). Questions: Goodhue County Sheriff’s Office (651) 267-2617

As of today Anoka, Dakota and Rice Counties have banned cars and trucks on their lakes. Goodhue has banned them on Byllesby Lake and Frontenac Pond

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

How long before some brainiac goes through the ice in his vehicle in spite of the ban!??

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Although a pain in some its a good idea to close the lakes to vehicle traffic. I’m glad they do this,…..There are amny other things I’d like to read about in the paper other than articles of people going through.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Speaking of pains in the

FYI~ if your interested in seeing a Dodge Pickup being pulled out of Mille Lacs…

Click Here

This fella figured he didn’t need to follow the roads and found a preasure ridge.

CHA-CHING!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I drove around the Croix today from Prescott to Hudson and it looked like there is more open water than ice….. The winter that wasn’t continues.

dd

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I’ve heard plenty of rumors about the cost of recovering a vehicle, but all bull aside,…what does it cost?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I asked that question of Bobber, I believe he said $900. to $3,000. I should have asked what makes it more expensive…

Either way, just getting in dryed out, fluids changed ect… has to be a real pain…then what do you say to your wife when she wants to know where the truck is… “I’m having the tire presure checked?”

VikeFan

I’ve never had to find out personally, but when your vehicle goes in the drink, you not only have to pay to have it towed out, but you have to pay fees to the DNR and state EPA. Neither of those agencies is keen about anti-freeze and petroleum by-products in the water, and tacking on fines is a good way to remind people not to drive on bad ice. I have also heard that the state adds on to the fines for each day the vehicle is left in the water. On top of recovery, state fines, and repairing your vehicle, I have been told that no vehicle ever runs quite as well after it has been submerged, no matter how thoroughly it is dried out, and how much water-damaged wiring and such is replaced.

Look on the bright side–you guys back in Minnesota are complaining about not being able to drive cars and trucks on the ice. Down here in southeast Iowa, I haven’t dared walk on any of the ice since New Year’s. There is, however, just enough rotten mush on the water around here to get in the way of open-water fishing on any reservoir or pond.

jldii

Brian,

My understanding from talking to George up at Hunters is that they charge something like $400/hour for the recovery. I do not know if that includes towing it to shore where a tow truck can hook up to it though.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

If it’s a underwater recovery, where a diver is needed the diver can run you $1000-$1500. I know Jimmy Staricha took classes and now does his own diving and recovery both.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.