Clear lake and Rice lake

• JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

I wish I had good news to report but the fish just would not bite tried north of island along with a few other and heard there was a yellow bite early that lasted about a hour the ice was 10in at rice there was 12in and 2 in of white ice I seen 3 perch caught ugly fishing.I would use the upmost caution on both these lakes as the ice can rot fast. I have been carrying camera the last two outings in hope of a feild report hopeI am getting my bad luck out of the way early this year

eyeweign
    Ellsworth Ia.

JoeK
    Fished Wed. afternoon from 3 to 6:30 pounded the yellows for just about an hour, ended up with just about a half a bucket full. Back out Thur. morning, caught fish all day long. Fished next to Barb, and a local guy from Clear Lake. Ended up with 3/4 of a bucket of yellows. The late afternoon bite didn’t happen for me, but I caught fish all day long. Quit Thur. night right before dark and there was anywhere from no water on top of the ice to just about 2″ of water on the ice. I had 2 GREAT days of fishing.
    Crowbait

JCK
    nora springs ia floyd

I have found that in years past if you got the time and the fish are not biting that sometime that day they will go it might last a couple hours our ten min today it was just to nasty to wait them out and the fog was setting in bad

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

I did get to fish next to the fish hog, boy was he landing the yellows down here in clear lake. I did ok when I got back after returning my Eskimo fish house for a Walleye Wilderness 2 man flip. I think the count was 19 Yellows and 1 10+ ” Crappie for Friday & Saturday and Sunday Morning. I saw allot of walleye on the aquaview and there are a few nice ones out there to be caught but they weren’t interested in bait.

The fish are being finicky out on Clear Lake from what I can tell: I had had luck with quick jigging: then with jig up and drop, I had luck with fat minnows and then with small minnows, don’t forget to switch to minnow heads too when the fish are picky.

The Ice is still there and holding so far, pray for colder weather not ready to give up Ice Fishing yet.

eyeweign
    Ellsworth Ia.

Barb,
    How does the new shack work? Any better than the other one? Did you get a new camera too, and what model? Good to finally get to meet you after all of the emails. These sites are great to be able to keep in contact with people. Was there much water on top of the ice Sun. morning when you left? And most important did your fishing partner ever get to land that FIRST fish??? If the cloudy weather stays it shouldn’t eat too much of the ice away in northern Iowa. (I hope) Deep fried up a bunch of yellows over the weekend in a cajun mix. Like they say “IT DON’T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT”!!!
    Frank

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

The new shack is nice and roomy… It withstood the wind despite having a lock nut fall off.

I still have the Aquaview base model it’s ok for clear lakes, but really annoying that the fish are attracted to it than the bait. I’ll have to figure a way to attach a line to it with a floater hook , Just had to get the power cable from home, seems it stayed behind at the door.

Good News Sunday morning the swimming pool wasn’t fully open on the lake. There were a few pools and noticed closer to shore is where some mushy spots were forming. But out where we fished ( I was real close to your spot almost right on it) You’ll see my markings

She caught a fingerling Walleye something to remember. I had my first fish fry last night, looking forward to this weekend heading back up there or maybe you can show me Brushy Creek, found a map of it and looks neat. I stopped in town and watched a few trout being caught and one really whopper of a Brown too (4 pounder). I tried but with 2 cats in the van I couldn’t stay and fish.

Barb

barbisfishn
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

Wow speaking of that fog,,, almost got lost and found an island….LOL. Seem’s the light I was walking towards was a couple of fish shaks (they pointed me towards shore). I have to look outside from here on,,, too busy catching fish….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.