The ice is disappearing!

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

The ice is literally vanishing at this point. I know, because i was out there for a few hours today. I was still on around 6″ of ice, but its going out fast. This can’t be happening…somebody pinch me! I keep telling myself its going to freeze back up, but in reality..im not sure if it will again. Feburary is coming quickly, and even warmer temperatures are on their way…I am also worried that if we don’t get some cold weather to kill the weeds, that it may be overly weedy this summer, which wouldn’t be cool at all. anyway, it was a pretty miserable time out there today. When i showed up, there were probably about 20 or so other people on the ice. A few guys that were there for the morning bite had some good fish and said the bite had been strong. I caught a couple fish right away, but as soon as the rain came, the fisherman disappeared, and it felt as if the fish did too. Throughout the whole time, i only caught around 10 or 15 gills. I did catch a 27″ northern on a tip up which was a nice little rush, and it took out all my line Other than that, it was a very slow day. Enjoy it while you can however, this may be the last shot of ice fishing in a while for us. Tomorrow’s forcast won’t help one bit

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

im glad i went for some bass gear today at gander than buying more ice equipment! will be fishing open water before you know it. i have to say that is the shortest ice season i have ever seen!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Yep the ice is going quick. The shore line is starting to open in alot of spots.

Still good you got out. Sounds like you did just fine

Bret

bigpike

That pike sure has a big gut on it, almost looks like a few of the locals coming out of the pub with a QB packed in there gut

bigpike

Long term forcast is for highs in the teens lows around zero so dont call ice fishing season off yet….

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

are you joking? i haven’t looked at the 7 day since this mornin’ but i didn’t see anything special on it..HOw long are we talkin’ and where can i get a look at this forcact? if its true, screw bass fishin, i want the ice back!

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

aren’t you entering him in the tournament?

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Post deleted by Switchback XT

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

The ice is literally vanishing at this point

GOOD!!!

Quote:

screw bass fishin

That’s strike 1

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Lets see, how does that go again?
    Oh yea, I remember……Slop

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

lol slop, thanks for turning me back to the right direction again! Even if we loose all the ice, the bass fishin would still suck anyway…at least for me it would!

bigpike

Long term forcast from about Feb 6th on out temps start to drop, en=ven seen some negative numbers for lows, on accuweather checked another weather web and they had the same thing, keep the faith, old man winter might have a few things to say yet!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

thank you. Ill check that out…We still got some ice, it sucks,but its walkable. As long as we don’t get anymore rain, we should be fine, especially if we are gonna get some hard freezes in the near future. The shoreline could use help in a few other places as well

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

YEah I have noticed the ice around the shores is starting to give way.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.