164 Keepers in 4/1/2 hours!!!

• natureboy
    LaCrosse,WI

Sunday three friends and I headed out to remote spot on the mississippe backwaters where when the conditions are just right the gills flock. It is very hit and miss though. If you do hit them it is usually only a week of action. On sunday the four of us limited out in about two and a half hours. Our biggest being multiple fish of ten inches in length. Which are going on the wall as a stringer mount. Yesterday after work the four of us got out again. In the hour and half we had till dark we iced 64 more keepers. Any color jig worked and we ran out of waxies imidiatly and just used a chunk of white plastic twister tail.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

Great catch!!

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

Looks like a lot of work comin’ up to clean all of them! But don’t get me wrong, I’d love to catch all of those! Nice job!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I can smell them now!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

My mouth is watering!!!!!!!!

yeahmon
    Winona, MN

Ever hear of catch and release and only keeping enough for a meal or two? Keeping that many big fish isn’t necessary and can really hurt a fishery. Some people just don’t seem to care about the future. It’s no wonder you don’t catch fish there for long. They all get fished out! Sad day…

natureboy
    LaCrosse,WI

We got out again last night and caught 71 more keepers. It isn’t like I am keeping all these for myself. Its four guys. I think if four guys can go out and almost get their limit three times in a row… more power to them. Does anyone honostly think that a duck hunter that went out three times in one week would pass up the opportunity to bring home a limit of greenheads? Of course not. It makes up for all the days when you go out and only come home with few to none. I have an aqua view and I can VERY confidently say that at this point it is nowhere near fished out. What it is, is a thermacline issue i’m guessing. changes in water climates push these fish from deep to upinto this slough. There are fish there from acres and acres of area. I have and aqua view and can still see hunderds of fish. I don’t think we are unreasonble at all. In a way we are practicing catch and release. We are only keeping gills averaging 8 inches or more. All the other keepers go back swiming.

Kevin

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

There is not a better tasting fish! Great catch!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I couldn’t keep that many myself, but I could sure help you catch them With the luck we are having lately, all I can say is Nice bunch of fish

yeahmon
    Winona, MN

As long as the law allows a 25 bluegill per day limit on WI/MN boundary waters you have to the right to keep that many. Just remember there is a possessional limit of of twice the daily bag limit. You must be really hungry if you are staying below the legal posession limit…

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

I always give alot of fish to my parents, and 2 sisters. So come winter time I will keep quite a few fish. Maybe he is giving them away so untill we know the whole story let’s just say “Wish I was fishing where you are”. Nice fish NB.
    This is getting old, post of guy with fish, people B*%$*#*# about how many,size ETC ETC It’s getting to be where I don’t want to share pics of fish either. I know others have stopped sharing for this reason.

j_ericks
    Winona, MN

Dodge, its hard to keep fish when you don’t catch any

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

As long as the law allows a 25 bluegill per day limit on WI/MN boundary waters you have to the right to keep that many. Just remember there is a possessional limit of of twice the daily bag limit. You must be really hungry if you are staying below the legal posession limit…

They’re his fish to do with what they please, as long as they stay w/in their possesion limit. When I find myself nearing a possesion limit I start handing out bags of frozen gills. Friends and family who don’t fish really appreciate them…

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I agree it is the fishermans discretion to keep as many as they want so long as they are within the legal limits. I too have seen a change in the way people react when they see photo’s or hear stories of good catches. Some are quick to turn into judge and jury and can really turn people off on the whole fishing thing. Last spring there was discussion on here about keeping female walleye in the spring. Some will really try to make you feel like an [censored] if you are spotted with a female at the landing. That isn’t right. Focus on those breaking the law and not those simply out enjoying a days fishing. If people keep poking other people in the eye for things that are legal sooner or later they will poke the wrong person, and wish they had kept their mouths shut.

Nice catch by the way.

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

As long as the fish are getting eaten,no problem by me. Hell that’s the reason why a lot of people fish, especially when it’s those tasty panfish.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Nice looking fish Graet job .It sure makes me hungry.

natureboy
    LaCrosse,WI

Thanks for the support guys. As far as possesion limits go we are still good. Sunday night the night we caught 100 keepers four of us and my grandparents ate 63 gills. Thats 126 fillets. YUMMMMYYYYYY.

kevin

twedul
    Holmen, WI

Way to go nature boy!!! If I could get on the fish like that, I’ld be filling the freezer too…(-: Ted

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

I agree. Yeahmon should not poke at anyone who is not breaking the law.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I ALSO AGREE, BACK OFF THE PEOPLE THAT KEEP FISH.

ONE OTHER POINT MIGHT BE THE REASON LAKE ONALASKA IS SO FILLED WITH LITTLE FISH, NO ONE IS KEEPING ENOUGH AND WITH THAT MANY FISH TO FIGHT FOR FOOD THEY DON’T GROW SO FAST.

JUST LIKE THE MISS. IT SHOULD HAVE A WALLEYE SLOT LIMIT. 16 TO 23in SHOULD BE RELEASED. KEEP THE SMALL ONES TO EAT AND IF YOU NEED TO MOUNT ONE YOU CAN ONLY KEEP ONE OVER 23.

BASS, EAT ALL YOU WANT, NO LIMIT.

JUST KIDDING.

JUST MY .02

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I dont care what anbody says or what laws weren’t broken. In my book and ALL of my friends, and pretty much anyone I know, to limit out over and over again at a spot is excessive. We dont practice it.

yeahmon
    Winona, MN

Ahhh, aren’t forums great! It’s so interesting to see what other people are thinking. I have no problem with keeping fish as I keep some myself sometimes too. I was merely saying to be reasonable when keeping fish and not overharvest them.

Yes, the walleye fishery on the Mississippi is nothing like it could be particularly because of the open season all year around. It is such a tradgedy that so many spawning fish get taken each year right below the damns when they are stacked up in spring. I think it would be great if they put a slot limit on walleye and/or make a catch and release season with artifical lures only on walleyes until they finish spawning. It would be amazing the quality of the fishery that would develop in just a few short years if it were to be given a try.

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

I believe all fish even given away are under your possesion limit, as long as you tell your friends and family to eat them right away and you eat them up he should be ok.
    must have been a blast!!!!

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

Nice catch, they’re great eating before freezing.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.