Turtle lake N metro

• fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I hit turtle lake on saturday for the first time looking for crappies. I went to the north end of the lake and couldn’t find bottom with the fl8(I found out later why). I dropped a line anyway and kept dropping my line till I had slack line. I started to reel up and there was a fish on there. I am guessing a good sized crappie due to the slack line and the fight. I didn’t get to see as it came loose before coming into sight. I tried fishing another 10 minutes or so till I decided it was futile to fish without aid of the fl8 so I headed back to shore. I left the lake and purchased a new battery. After installing the new battery I went back out to the lake and drilled a hole. I still could not find bottom. I was kind of po’d at this time so I took the battery out again and looked around. Low and behold the transducer cable was not attached to the unit. The simplest solution possible that I did not think of. After being able to find bottom and mark fish I caught a few bass and some decent sunfish in 6-9 feet of water. I stayed till after dark looking for the slabs working the 24-28 range until after dark with no success. Is it kind of hit or miss out there for crappies? I did drill around 35-40 holes today looking for fish so I was moving around and not sitting in one spot all day. I did not see or hear of too much success out there for the toothies either.

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

I think the short answer is yes. Most guys I’ve talked with have been getting a few crappies, but they’ve had to work a long time for only a few fish. Most crappie fishing on Turtle usually happens after dark.

The couple times I’ve been out on Turtle I’ve been walleye fishing. The good news is the fish have been biting – the bad news is that they’ve all been around 13-14″.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Big E, I wondered about the eyes out there too. There is some decent structure there, but I wasn’t sure what the population was for the lake. I might try shallow in the evening for eyes and crappies once to see what bites. Thanks for the info.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Are we talking about the lake just South of 96? If so, my brother has taken a few Crappies at sundown out there. Nothing fast and fruious, but some decent ones! The pike action has been good on flags also during the day.

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

Turtle Lake is a mile or so north of 96. I’m assuming you’re thinking of Snail Lake.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

No, I was thinking of Turtle, but pictured Snail in my head Thanks for the clarifcation .
    Didn’t know eyes existed in the lake

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Turtle is a real good bass lake, and I know of some real nice crappies getting caught in the spring when they are up shallow.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.