Is it legal to use 2 hooks on 1 line ice fishing?

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

This may have been discussed before and I missed it so I will throw it out. The General Regulations on Page 17 of the 2005 MN Fishing Regulations specifically states: “Anglers may use only one hook. It also states: “Anglers may use only one line. The exceptions are: Two lines may be used through the ice.”
    My question is: If I am ice fishing and only using one line may I have two hooks on that line?
    I know the Wisconsin – Minnesota borders water regulations allow for two lines or one line and two baits.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

it also states that you can use two “flys” on one line for trout and panfish I asked a local CO and he said as long as I was using ice flys aka: teardrops it was legal
    I asked about unweighted tubes on a drop shot rig and he said he saw nothing wrong with that as long as the were just hooks and not jigheads hope this helps

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Thanks, Rod-man , I read that artificial fly part and didn’t make the connection. That makes sense now – I think I will try that approach. By the way – the regulation reads: “The exception is three artificial flies may be used when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass.” I can have 3 hooks on that line according to that regulation – thanks.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Once and A while I will use those Quick Strike Rigs, which have two trebble hooks on them. Its easier for catch and realease.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

in MN you must put a spinner on a quick strike to make it a lure to be legal

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Yeah, when sold here, they already have a spinner put on. Im not sure about WI’s rule.

WalleyeGFA

BE VERY CAREFUL ABUOT THE TWO FLIES !!!!

I used two “Artificial Flies” last year for crappies (open water) and was told could only use one… did some research including calling the Chief Enforcement Officer (forgot her name but she was head of enforcement) and she states that they were not enforcong it last year but soon (should have been done last legislative session) they were going to specify TWO FLIES WITH FLYROD ONLY.

Anyway they were quite angry that the initial law had the loophole that included other than fly rod…

” Subd. 2. Hooks. An angler may not have more than one
    hook on a line, except:

(1) three artificial flies may be on a line used to take
    largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, trout, crappies, sunfish, and
    rock bass; and

(2) a single artificial bait may contain more than one hook.

Above is the 2005 session, the DNR person said it along with the walleye 20″ length limit had already been passed and would be enforced for the 2006 season, but I cant find where it was ammended for proper enforcement this year…

Mind you she also said that since it was schedualed to pass that they could start enforcement even if its not in the published regulations as they are only a “guide” to the law.

From the conversation I had they could not wait to start enforcing the “two flies” for fly fishing only.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.