There’s hope!

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

well after school i rode my bike down to goose island today to see what was going on. I went light today because its a hassel to carry a auger, bucket, 5 poles and the rest of that jazz. This time i just took a backpack with my lx-3 in it, a tackle box, some bait and two poles. There were plenty of holes around, but most had a little ice on it! this is actually good because this means it was actually below freezing out today!!! the fish were cooperating as well. for the first time in about a month, fish slime was freezing on my jacket and gloves while spilled pop pooled up and froze on the ice as well. it felt like winter! The ice was only about 4-6 inches thick, and popped and cracked alot. Fish were just under the ice making for a blast of a time. I made it to the ice at about 3:45 and fished til about 5:20. I caught over 40 gills in this short time, and lots of keepers were caught. Nothing huge, but some 7 inchers and an occasional 8 to keep things fun on the ultralight.
    Good luck, sorry no pics as i did not catch anything to brag about!
    PS- spikes on a yellow jig were the ticket.

sledhead
    MN Rosemount

well at least i know now that me and redneck jr. are not the only ones riding bikes in the winter

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Nice job Cade you are truely dedicated to be riding your bike to fish in this weather

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

That put a smile on my face even if the fish aren’t biting, at least im getting some excercise. Gotta stay in shape for baseball this spring

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

fish slime was freezing on my jacket and gloves

It just don’t get any better than that!

phishirman
    Madison, WI

you should stud your bike tires….

slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Cade, you rock! Great post!

twedul
    Holmen, WI

Cade,
    Thanks for the info!!!! I appreciate it. I can only dream of being the hard water angler that you are Thanks again. Ted

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Thanks for the input guys i wasn’t expecting anybody to reply, most just look for pictures, but it is the content that really counts! I fished it again today and had similar results, not quite as many fish, but they were still chomping. If goose gets hit a few more times as hard as it was today, im heading somewhere else. Its a small area and with 20-25 people fishing it, and over half of them taking home heavy bags of fish, and its not good on those fish.I caught 10-15 keepers, and gave a few away, but i was “secretly” releasing keepers when some of the old timers werent looking because we need to keept this body of water replenished. I saw 3 flags while i was there and 1 25″ snake was iced.
    Good luck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.