power augers and cold weather don’t mix

• AkDan

Well we are on auger #3 right now. My buddies first two mako’s were pretty much toast right out of the box. Sportsmens warehouse did take great care of us. We jumped up to the barracuda and I have to say. It DOESN’T like the cold. Today we couldn’t keep it running enough to drill one hole from top to bottom. This is the second time we’ve used this auger and up till today had less then a dozen holes on it. There isn’t enough room in the ice house for the head let alone the hole auger. The small buddy doesn’t even put out enough heat in these temps to pull your jacket off. And they say this is fun, hmmmmph. …………….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dan, in the winter months you should take a tropical vacation..

Come to Forrest Lake, Minnesota!

It was a balmy 38 degrees F the other day. Don’t forget your sun screen!

I don’t know anything about the type of auger you’re using, but I think at this point it’s time to switch to a differant brand…or contact the factory.

I did this with my Jiffy a couple years ago and found out that I’ve been adjusting my carb in the garage. This doesn’t work with Jiffy’s, they have to have a “load” on them when setting the carb up. As in cut a hole…adjust…cut another hole….adjust, until it’s dialed in. The way it ran the other day, I need to do this again…but my point is that sometimes the factory knows something that isn’t obvious.

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

How fresh is the gas you are using? Maybe you have water in the gas. Ice augers don’t mind the cold temps. Hope you get it running.
    Doug

AkDan

Brian,

I am originally from Scandia. STill have family and a load of friends in the area, small world eh.

The gas is less then three weeks old. The auger runs great in the garage where it’s warm. I’ll call the manufaturer here in a bit and see what they have to say.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

If I had to live and fish in the temps you are in, I wouldn’t want to work either That area will make the best equipment think twice about working

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

What I’m thinking if the auger runs fine in the garage when it gets out in the cold the water in the gas freezes you get gasline freeze.
    Doug

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

It’s becouse of that pollution control. They lean out the 2 strokes so bad they don’t run in cold weather. I took mine to my small engine guy and that is what he see alot. He put an older carb on that you can adjust and that fixed that problem.

AkDan

Well just got off the phone with Eskimo’s customer service. He said to try and run it leaner, the thicker mixture (24-1) starts to bog it down or over protect the engine. He also wasn’t a big fan of nonventing caps in which the cuda has instead of a vented fuel cap. Said to unscrew it to the point it just stays on and see what happens. Temps are -33 right now, going to go out tomorrow and see how it does.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Temps are -33 right now

A warming trend eh?

Good luck…don’t sound like fun…screwing around with carb adjustments in the cold!

Hey Dan? Do they add anything to the gas up there for water, like they do here in MN?

Slightly off topic, but wond’rn.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.