Stoddard ice report

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i fished stoddard again today for about 6 hours and had a good time. i got on the ice at about 9 with my friend carson, and we found the gills to be chomping, but running way smaller than they were yesterday. I caught one small i mean barely even a keeper, sized fish and quite a few small gills, and finally carson caught a couple I caught another perch that was barely a keeper itself and then it was all 5-6 inch gills for about an hour. Carson had to leave at about 11:30 and i decided to stay longer and see what happened. The fish shut off soon after carson had left and i hoofed it way way out by the back of “the box” (those of you that know stoddard probably know what im talking about) and i drilled 2 holes using my spud there weren’t very many holes around other than ones with a lot of ice on them, so i just toughed it out and drilled through the 8-9″ that was there with my spud. I got through in only about 20 seconds but it was serious work. i caught one small gill there and then i had to go back to where i started. Back to the smaller sized gills again, but finally the bigger ones came in from nowhere. they started showing up aggressively on the Lx-3 and finally i caught a nice 8ish inch gill.I settled in and started catching fish after fish, and caught several keeper fish, including 1 at about 9″ and 2 or 3 others that were at least 8-1/2. I would venture a guess to say that if i was keeping fish today, i could have kept about 10, but i would have really had to work for them. It was a good time none the less whether they were big or not. To those of you that are going out, bring plenty of bait. They wouldn’t take a waxie that was beet up so i constently had to change until i finally ran out. spikes were not working.
    good luck out there….I know some of you guys are having a great time below the dams, but im trying to hold on to what ice we have left. Im with bret on this one, bring back my ice

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

the above pic was a 9″ gill and my biggest of the day, but this one was about 8-1/2. If i had to rate this day, i would give it probably a 4. yesterday would have been more like a 7. good luck.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Man, to be a kid again.
    Very cool Cade

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Yes and just think of all that free time could be used for FISHIN. Man, what a life. I’m jealous. This young man sure knows how to have fun and hes good at it.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.