Quick question for tip up rig

• hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

How is everyone rigging up their tip ups? I lost 5 flags today due to what i think is the wrong way of setting them up?

going fishing again in the morning and would like to try something different.

Thanks for any information

waterfowler99
    Midwest

WHAT ARE YOU FISHING FOR?????

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

How you rigging and for what and where?? Ok i’ll help now.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

haha im fishing for whatever bites, mostly northerns ive just got one of those quick strike rigs with a leader on it that you can buy from the store with a treble hook on it. Im getting two runs on it so im assuming that its northerns and i let them run and go to take em and their gone. one ran for about 5 minutes and i thoguht i had better take it before it took all my line out

what am i doing wrong?

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

I use this rig. It seems to work well. I let the fish run for about 30 seconds depending on how fast it is spinning, or if it stops first. then if the time is up or it stop moving i pick it up and hold the line, once I feel weight I have at it.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

If it’s a quick strike rig you’re using, I wouldn’t wait at ll. As soon as I got to the tip up I’d pull it out of the hole, grb the line, and as soon as I felt the weight i’d set the hook and keep ‘er coming. No waiting around, that’s the whole point of a quickstrike rig.

Good luck!

Rootski

fishinfool
    mn

WITH A SINGLE HOOK YOUR CHANCES ARE THE BEST TO LET THEM TAKE IT AND FEED THEM LINE, THEY WILL EVENTUALLY STOP. AT THIS POINT A NORTHERN WILL TURN THE BAIT IN HIS MOUTH AND THEN TAKE OFF AGAIN, THAT IS WHEN YOU SET THE HOOK. I VERY SELDOM MISS WITH A SINGLE DOING THIS. QUICK STRIKE SETUP ALL YOU SHOULD HAVE TO DO IS TIGHTEN THE LINE AND FEEL THE WEIGHT AND SET THE HOOK. FISHINFOOL

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Yep what everyone else said. If it’s a quick strike hit it right away with no waiting. With my rigs I’m pretty much like RedneckJR except I’ve switched to circle hooks. No leagality issues of the treble hook and some added hardware. On the second run just a steady pull and the cornor of the mouth hookup is where your at.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.