1/7/06 Area lake

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The bite wasn’t on fire, but my budy Mike C. and I found a few fish. Just before light the crappies were just off a shallow hump in 12fow suspended anywhere from 5-10 feet. Little cecil tip with a waxie would buy a few hits. Alot more lookers than takers.

After light we decided to make a move for perch. Same depth but more in a small channel. My new MarCum LX-5 worked awesome to see fish tight to the bottom. The zoom feature rocks for seeing them bottom dwellers. It also put the bait right in the face (Little Cecil tip with a minnow head)! I played catch and release. Mike took home some nice perch for his first fish fry of the year.

I also like the SFL feature. It sure makes for crisp clear lines and aids in keeping the bait right on target.

The ice is still trying to hold on. There are however soft spots to be aware of. Also, creepers are a must!

Good luck fishing people
    Bret

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Mornin’ crappie

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

The average sized perch hitting today.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Oh yea, plenty of these things

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Looks like an awesome time Bret! Nice fish!

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

great going bret! You know how jelous i am about those crappies. Way to go with the Lx-5 as well! Im impressed with my lx-3, i can’t even imagine the lx-5.
    Like i said, great job

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

What is that in your third picture? Hard to tell with the glare. A little bass or some overgrown baitfish?

j_ericks
    Winona, MN

I’m curious to what those fish are too. I’ve caught them before and couldn’t figure out what they were.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It is a LM Bass. I caught a ton of little 6-8 inchers.

j_ericks
    Winona, MN

Hmmmm. must not be what i caught then. Whatever i caught was real slimy and all the scales get all over you when you touch it.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the report with pics Bret. New toys always make fishing a super treat. Thanks, Bill

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Nice going Bret and Mike On these soft spots, are they pretty easy to see i might venture out there this week and see if I can get a few fish on the ice. I am torn between ice and open water, but at least we have a choice

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Yep, you can see the spots to avoid. You will also see where that shack in the middle went in

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

J_Ericks-
    I am guessing the fish you caught looked just like this. There are two types of shad, Gizzard and Threadfin. Gizzard are the ones that are common in our area. Someone correct me if i am wrong

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.