fish house info/advice

• AkDan

Looking for some help in getting a somewhat larger portable fish house.

Right now we are running the eskimo traveler. It’s not bad overall however it’s not deep enough front to back, would be nice to have a little more room side to side. We basically have to keep everything non essential outside and still barely have enough room for a buddy heater, the lx5, my purse sized ice fishing ‘tackle box’ and bait.

I like the looks of the Clam Guide model. If anyone has it I’d like to hear your experiences with it. Does it come with the removeable seat modules? If so is there enough room with two people?

Was looking at a frabill however it’s awful low to the ground to allow the seat modules. The one we saw that had the modules was using a sled that wasn’t straight along the top edge shifting the two seats towards one side.

Also looked at the eskimo line of flip tops at sportsmens warehouse. Wasn’t all that impressed with the bench seats. Not all that comfortable and the quickflip II the bench was extremely low to the ground forcing your knees up into your chest.

We are pretty limited as to what the shops have instock. Sportsmens Warehouse carries the Eskimo’s and a local hardware store carries the Frabill cruiser 200 (nice but it didnt appear useable with the swivel seat module), Ht model wasn’t sure (polar escape possibly) but also appeared to low to use the swivel seat modules, and some otter shelters. I liked it however the sled pushes your buddy literally shoulder to shoulder with you. The otter I believe was a walleye something? Would be the perfect of them all if it wasn’t for the goofy sled.

So short of ordering site unseen I need some help/advice on what to get and whats out there. Sites that have portable ice houses on them that a guy could look at and the closer to the west coast the better

Thanks
    Dan

nick
    Lakeville, MN

For 2 people right? I reccomend not buying the fish trap guide, but stepping up to atleast the yukon, much, much more room, than a guide, not to mention you do sit considerable higher, the guide sits too low for my taste, their seats or ok too. Yukons fly off the shelves here. If you want the nicest IMHO I’d go for clam’s three man voyager, the only downside is the bigger they get the heavier they are, not such a big deal IMHO since I pull mine with a 4wheeler or a snowmobile. If you would’ve asked me 2 years ago, I would’ve said eskimo all the way, but in the last 2 years clam has made big changes, and they get my personal top pick now. ( though frabile has the most comforatble seats, I’m sure you can make the clam’s nicer)

http://www.clamcorp.com/fishtrap.html

I assume you live in Alaska with that name, so I can’t really tell you where the closest dealer is, but they have a dealer locator on thier site, and there may be one in Canada closer.

AkDan

Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

I have been looking quite a bit online at different houses. The yukon is definatly one of two I think I’ve narrowed it down to. The other would be the Frabill Ranger XL twin. The voyager is to large as I’d be pulling this by hand for now. Sure looks like a nice unit however is just to much I believe to be pulling around. Sold my scandic a couple of years ago as I never used it. Kickn myself in the rear for that now that I am back into ice fishing.

Also looked at clam’s dealers. There isnt one for almost 2000 miles. The nice thing is I can get it up here via a trucking company a buddy of mine works for.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.