MILLE LACS ICE

• Besox

My sled is down and I am walking out tomorrow. Any ideas on the best spot to walk out from.
    I was thinking Malmo has some rocks fairly close in?

ptrson_lund
    Upper Midwest

Are there close-in opportunities? I have only fished during open water once so all of The Pond is a new experience….

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

there are definately close to shore opportunities. They are the most overlooked also. People just seem to think that the farther out the better on Mille Lacs. there are many shoreline breaks that provide dominant structure in mille lacs. But they go untouched in winter for some reason. You won’t fin much for mud, but plenty of rock and gravel which just happens to hold some promising fishing right now. Get out there!

jaywc7
    N48.86757 W93.04575

Hello! I’m new to the forums. Really glad to be here.

I am just curious – does Mille Lacs completely freeze over? As in – travelable from one side to the other? Just curious, because for the last two years I have planned to hike across it, but the plans fell through both years. I’m thinking about doing it again, and got to thinking, “Is it even possible?” I’d appreciate any input I recieve.

Thanks!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Welcome aboard,…

Yes it does freeze all the way over and there is currently around 15 inches of ice across the entire lake, which is plenty.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome Josh. Great to have you with us. Please feel free to share and post all you want.
    Thanks, Bill

ARCH
    southern minnesota

People that are new to Mille Lacs, I would definatly suggest the walleye whiffer map. It shows just about everything that you need, and also offers G.P.S. coordinates. Good luck fishing, and be safe!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.