Any reports from Red?

• jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

Just curious if anyone has been up to Red at all and had any luck?

shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

My buddy wants to put his permanent up there, and he’s been trying since mid-december. The reports he’s getting is the ice is not good. It sounds like some vehicles have gone through, and the resorts are not pulling fish houses out yet. That was the report from last week, and I can’t verify if he’s contacted more than one resort.

Hopefully that helps you out. A call up there would be necessary before any road trips. I haven’t heard anything regarding the bite yet.

Lars

scottsteil
    Central MN

The bite is still pretty poor but atleast I am hearing more reports of people catching fish. It is not as fast as it was last year at this time but last year there were 5000 more people fishing the lake every weekend.

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Was there last Thur and Fri. Resorts have worked hard to maintain their roads and travel on to the lake was not difficult at all. Westwind road was plowed out about 6 miles, Hillman’s slightly less. No one had gone thru the ice that we saw and there were some trucks pulling big houses out. Most of the resorts have their houses out. That being said, there were areas of slush off the roads that needed to be avoided. The slush was under some of the old snow drifts. Your wheels would break thru a few inches on the slush which was not a good feeling. Overall ice depth was 14 to 17 inches in the areas we traveled. Crappie fishing was lousy. Walleyes were biting. Not alot of people out by Red Lake standards.

tbashore

We were up at Red Lake on 1/1-1/2. Crappies were not biting yet. You could see them on the graph and they were follow a little bit but only nibbled a couple of times. We heard of two being caught that night. Walleyes bit ok though. The first line down the hole got one and then it was just a slow steady bite (2 an hour) all night after that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.