Jig ups

• zoomer
    Twin Cities

I got one of these from Santa Claus and was curious to see what others are saying about this product. For thos that do not know it is a tip up that runs on two D batteries and when on will lift your bait up and down about two inches. I have used it on three different outings and have not had a single flag. I think it makes way too much noise and possibly spooks the fish not to mention drive me crazy by the monotonous sounds that it makes. Give me a Beaver Dam tip up and I will be happy. Not impressed.
    Zoomer

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

I don’t think a jig up would make a bit of differance! it’s just a wast of money in my eyes! your using live bait aren’t you? then you should have no problom with movement. if they aren’t as liveley as you like then cut the tip of the tail of that will get them moving. if anything i think those things would scare fish off! i don’t know what those guys were thinking when they made those but it wasn’t a good idea! Just my .02

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Im betting that these tip ups would not scare fish off. On windy days, we troll bass at this one spot when it is to windy to cast and keep good boat control. we troll about a rod lenght away from the ______…..Well the bank. We pull tons of smallies and largies out of there on cranks running not to far behind the boat. If a fish wants your bait, he isn’t going to be scared off because of the sound of a buzzing noise or whatever noise this might be from the tip up. Because i garuntee, nothing stirs up the water more than a motor. That actually can make the fish bite in certain cases. I don’t know how well the jigging deal would work, but i would doubt that it would scare off fish by any means in any depth of water. Have you tried this on walleyes? i would think it would work if you give it a chance. Bummer on the annoying sound tho.

birddog
    Mn.

I saw those at the ice expo…

BIRDDOG

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Im not really saying that the noise is really going to scare it off i think the noise is just enoying! im saying i have seen those things in action and it doesn’t have that big of an effect! it just moves you minnow up and down between 6 and 10 in. And if that intices more hits then ill be the first one in line to buy but i don’t think it makes that big of a differance or there would be non left on the shelves at the stores

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My sweetheart wife suprised me with one for Christmas. She was so proud…I used it once last week.
    Anyone need 2 D-cell batteries?

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I am pretty sure that Jig Up was designed to catch one thing…Fishermans wives!

Personaly I use the Windlass tip up that is a wind driven, adjustable motion unit. It is pretty dang nice and works great with Swedish Pimples for perch and ‘eyes.

I had wanted to add a URL with a nice picture and description of the Windlass but oddly I can’t copy/paste on this website? What’s with that?

Anyhow just google HT Windlass Tip-Up and you’ll see what I was referring to.

riveratt

That is exactly what I wanted Switchback, how the heck does a guy copy or past on this forum? I am familiar with the whole {url=} business, I just can’t copy or paste here. Not sure if it is this specific site or what?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Highlight the text to be copied.

To copy = Control + C

To paste = Control + V

zoomer
    Twin Cities

Yes Mike I actually do need two batteries I burned up my two in half the time the package said I would Now I have to pay $ for shiners and batteries what next?

riveratt

Thanks James. I’m used to using the old right click on the mouse method. Didn’t mean to hi-jak the post with that question either…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.