auger problems?

• zoomer
    Twin Cities

I have a strikemaster auger and put a new blade on it last spring before I put it to bed. I have drilled maybe 30 holes this year and it was just not punching through the ice like it used to. It will bind up often especially when I get near to breaking through. I put a new blade on it and encountered the same thing. I then went to Joes to check to make sure I pout the blade on right I had attached to the bottom and it should have been placed on the top of the bar. Back out on the ice and same problem did not seem to grip then would bind up way too much work for a gas auger. Is it just the ice this year? Do I have a defective blade (tried three), Am I still putting the blade on wrong or do I have more serious issues the wife seems to think it is not rotating fast enough. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Zoomer

scottsteil
    Central MN

Your angle is off it sounds like. I wonder if you auger got bent a little. Does it cut good until the bottom of the hole and then get stuck or does it just not cut good in general?

zoomer
    Twin Cities

Does not cut good in general even stating out will “swish” around before starting a hole and like I said will bind up 4 or 5 times before breaking through. Is the angle something I can adjust. I have been pretty careful with it and store it on a rack in the basement during the summer months.

hunt4fun
    becker Minnesota

just call cy at strickemasters 763-263-8999 he is head of service he will figure it out

gregory
    Red wing,mn

is it a lazor or chipper style?

zoomer
    Twin Cities

Mag 2000

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I would start by putting a new blade on it since the blade was put on wrong it could of bent it just a tiny bit and that is all it takes.let us know if you get working..

TGM
    Lakeville,MN.

Zoomer,you mentioned that your auger kind of swished around

in the start of a hole….Does it still have the diamond shaped point on the bottom of the bit???I have the mag 3000

with the chipper blade and mine hogs through the ice even with a dull blade.As mentioned I would call the dealer.

jiggle-jiggle

phishirman
    Madison, WI

i had the same problem a few years ago and it turned out to be a bent auger shaft. I called up strikemaster and they sent me a new auger bit free of charge.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Does it have a really sharp point coming off the end of it? Your auger should dig right in unless you are trying to open old holes…that can be a pain. It should not swish around before it digs in.

twedul
    Holmen, WI

I think the real problem is you should have bought a Jiffy. Just kidding. I just had to add this to fire up a few people. Good luck with the problem. Ted

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

My dad has the same trouble it seems, but with a Jiffy Legend. He put a new ripper style blade on it as that is all that can be found now. Thing cuts like a dream until the last inch or so when it seems to jam up. Has to lift the auger and lightly spin the blade through. On the same ice my Jiffy goes through like melted butter. Any ideas?

gregory
    Red wing,mn

could be the carb needing a adjustment,does it idle fine or will it kill between holes?and when you give gas will bog and then start drilling those are some signs of carb out of adjustment or just a carb kit..

zoomer
    Twin Cities

thanks for the phone number I called service at strikemaster today the person I talked to seemed to think that I may have bent it a little by putting the blade on wrong. He suggested that I drive up and they can check it out while I wait. The bad news is is that it is about a 45 minute drive the good news is that i happen to have to drive by the new Cabelas in Rogers.
    I will let you know what the verdict is I think I am going up on Monday. Thanks again for the replies and the phone number.
    Zoomer

croixrvrrat

I would call D-Rock center. Its where strikemaster sends all of their augers to be fixed. He is the top guy for info and repairs. They are located south of 694 off of old bass lake road. You can get their number in the yellow pages or go to UP-NORTH .COM and go to ice fishing then to augers.

riveratt

My dad called Jiffy customer service and figured out what was wrong with his. After they were assured that the power head was running properly, producing the right amount of power, they had him check some things. What it came down to was the blade installation. When he put the new ripper on he placed it on the bottom of the mount instead of on the top. What happened was when he got to the really hard ice, the last inch or so, it was biting off more than it could chew. The difference is about 3/16″ but obviously enough. After swapping it he said it cuts like a hot knife through butter.

crailt

hey all – need some help also
    just started ice fishing again – not since i was a kid
    so instead of buying new – i went with a used Jiffy auger style# 30 – guessing it to be about 3-4yrs old –
    I had it out first time last weekend and found some of the same issues stated here – cut thru quickly til got to the last inch or so and binds up. Can any of you help – any suggestions onsomeone that can look / service these in the metro (prefer south metro) I understand it could be bent or some ripper mounting issue – i’m a rookie and could use some advice

riveratt

Welcome to the board crailt!

With your auger make sure the thing is running right first off. Fresh gas and properly mixed oil is must. You can also tell while drilling if the carb is set right. As the auger gets under load the noise kinda changes from fast gargle sound to a smooth chainsaw type sound. If it doesn’t “kick in” to the smooth sound your RPMs and power are too low, most times either fresh gas or slight high speed carb adjustment takes care of that.

Also as stated above be sure the chipper blade is on correctly. If the blade is mounted below the auger plate it is taking off too much ice at a time. The blade should be mounted above the auger.

Check these things out and let us know if it helps. Good luck!

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Another thing to check is your air filter, mine had an oily build up and wasn’t getting enough air. I just took it in the house and washed it with dish soap, then rinsed it good, let it dry out, and it ran like new.

crailt

riverrat and ederd thanks for advice will try that before taking it in

zoomer
    Twin Cities

Got er done. Took it to d-rock center, much closer for me than going out past rogers. They determined right off the bat that I had bent the shaft by putting the blade on the bottom. Choice was to try and pound it out myself or have them put on a new shaft, I chose the latter. $50 later I was out the door, got out on the ice to test it out and got almost through and the blade stopped spinning. Back to d-rock He opened it up and peices of metal gears were scattered around in the housing. $65 later and I was drilling holes again. Lesson learned the blade goes on the top of the bar. Those tat guessed I had bent the shaft somehow were correct and because the blade was bent it was binding up trying to cut thus stressing the gears to the point of breaking. Expensive lesson but I can put the hand auger back in storage. Thanks fro the tip on d-rock center very close to home and they fixed it while I waited. Good service
    Zoomer

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.