Anyone been out to the Vermillion lately?

• marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

Haven’t heard how the ice, or the fishing is going on the Vermillion since before X-mas. Anyone been able to make it out latley?

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Don’t do it.
    To dangerous now. Wait till we get cold weather again.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not sure if you saw Chris Tuckner’s last report or not so here’s the link >> Vermilion River Ice Report

Sounds like numerous guys went through recently including Gary Wellman here from IDA. Ice conditions would have likely deteriorated further since then. Proceed with caution!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

No! Is Gary OK?

This stinks. I’m seeing pictures of fish houses sunk in Independence, reports of bad ice or no ice, and it’s the 3rd of January!

Rootski

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Gary is just fine. He was a little P.O’d, but OK.
    I would stay off it for a good long time! I will update everyone once it gets cold enought to make ice again.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Tuck, how deep was it where Gary went in? If he had his hunting pants on that found the drier, they might not have gotten wet!!

Just kidding Gary, but I hope you weren’t trying to get back to your tree. There wasn’t much ice there when you left christmas eve.

Jami

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Well, if ya got a jon boat, you could probably find some decent fish!!!!

I went to my knees as I was leaving. I wasn’t 10 feet from the ramp…..Sucked……….Got wet, but all was good.

That whole area we were fishing wasn’t 3′ deep, so it is just enough to get you wet……Again…..SUCKED, but no damage or injuries……..Just waded my way onto shore…..

Right now, I think a persons best bet is to launch the boat on P2, P3, or P4. Looks like all the ramps are clean, even the ramp at Hastings!!!!!

With the weather we are having and the type of water the Vermillion is (springs and current), I don’t think anyone will be ice fishing there any more this year……..Unless we get a wicked cold snap in the next week or two…..But come 4 weeks, things already start warming up………

I’m all but about done ice fishing for the year!!!!! I gotta get the boat seaworthy again to hit the river……

jeffry

Any body checked the ice on the vermillion lately?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I haven’t been down there, since I went through the ice on the 27th.

Since then, we have had nothing but warm weather.

If ya got a jon boat, I would head down there!!!! But not ice fish……

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.