ML Ice conditions?

• birddog
    Mn.

Looking to head up Fri. Morning. We’d like to bring the crank down 7×14?? Are there any accesses open to vehicle traffic? Thanks in advance!!
    Hunters??

BIRDDOG

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I fished 8 mile yesterday… and it was a zoo of vehicles. Everywhere you looked vehicles were driving around.. That means two things.. 1. Crazy people behind the wheel. 2. Fish are not biting for some people.
    I think that Twin Pines or Terry’s must have there roads open. I also did notice that garrison sports has a wide road plowed as well.

Another thing….Mille lacs is a HUGE lake it would be nice if people would respect other fisherman in regards to setting up so close..
    That is all I am going to say about this..

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Fished 8 mile yesterday also and went out of Twin Pines, what a wast of $10 road pass. The road was plowed about 100 yards then it was every man for there self. Lots of water and slush. I drove my fullsize it was 50/50 now I look back. Did get my 4 eyes and a couple 13 & 14″ pearch and a 25 eye also.

corey-studer

Birddog,

I went out of Fisher’s Monday and drove the rig out. They’ve been out for over a week on the lake with trucks. Every where we went, we had 15 inches of ice.

Fisher’s have a road out to three mile (transition area 28-32 fow) and to the mud (Schultz, Blue Jug, and Deans flat). Just be sure to drive under 20 MPH.

Fishing still seems to be pretty good, especially during the bewitching hours.

As always, check with the resorts before heading out and be courteous to others… Fisher’s Resort 320-684-2221

Cheek

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Yes, Hunter’s is open out to the flats.

jresoxhunter

Guys,
    Thanks for the heads up on ice conditions on ML.We are heading up there (from Rochester here) in a couple weeks for four days of ‘eye yanking I hope.
    Just want to give you kudos on the “everyone needs their space” post.When I am setting up shop, I really try & stay away from anyone that is already set up & would hope they would do the same to me. Don’t need to make their teeth rattle when I fire up the ice blaster (auger). You wouldn’t drop the trolling motor (on your summer rig) right in the livwell of someone else would ya?
    We are heading up to Dickie’s so keep the great posts coming…..

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Dickies? Whitecap or Portside?

jresoxhunter

Hey ‘eye guide, thanks for the interest. I believe that it is Portside (in Isle).I think them and Scenic Bay run shacks together, don’t they? Are you guiding during the winter & what will a half day/full day or so run us? We have got enough equipment to out fit a small army but a little local expertise might be just what the doctor ordered.
    This group of guys have been fishing this “Hardwater Classic” for 5 or so years together & have wasted a fair amount of time looking for “the spot” if you know what I mean.
    Would also like to ice a few toothy critters if we get a chance too.
    We will be up from Jan 19 thru the 22nd….We got a 12 bunk / 22 holer rented but would like to get out and about.
    We will be truck mobile but that’s about it. Have not convinced our wives that sleds/4 wheelers are quite necessary yet.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated…
    Thanks….Jim Cunningham

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

That last bit of snow did a number on the ice, along with the warm temps. I drove my wheeler all over the lake on Mon. and it was interesting. There are huge pockets of slush. Some were around 50 yds across. I stuck twice with 4×4 wheeler. I’ll be the first to say its not fun trudging around in the slush. On my voyages across the lake I saw a few spots where trucks were buried in the slop. The guys going off road with vehicles are brave/insane. The top layer above the slush soft on Mon. as these temps drop that layer will get hard and the water will remain. Just like Winni. was last year. When that top layer of ice forms its a real chore to get yourself out. Just a word of caution. I can’t beleive no one else has reported this. If all you have is a truck…..stick to the roads or previously broken trail.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Matt, I have seen some slush just north of the east-west pressure ridge that runs across the northend of Fishers Flat. The slush is on the north and not much on the southside. I have not been to the northend flats in a few days……as the center flats have been going preety good!!!

thanks for the report

kmcquoid

All is well out of Mac’s Twin Bay on the SE side. Still driving–15″ ice and some wet stuff on top.

walleye_dog
    Western WI

Hey Bobber, was thinking about coming up Fri. Are you accessing the lake off of Big Point? I kind of wanted to stay away from the normal zoo up on the north flats but are they accessible from the south?
    Thanks

Bob Carlson

I am going out of Hunters Point Resort…….Hunters and Liberty have roads to the southern flats, like the Boot,9 mile area. There is a pressure ridge that runs from Picard Point (Lakeside) to the west and runs across the far northend of Fishers flat. You are not able to cross this with a car/truck. Crossing with an ATV or sled you have to pick your spot! becarefull around it…….

jldii

Bob,

Do you know if Barnacles, or Red Door have roads coming down from the north side of that ridge to Schultz, or around the Jug?

Bob Carlson

I don’t know about them, but Fishers Resort has roads that run to Deans, Schultz’s,and Blue Jug area….There is no bridge or road across the pressure ridge just north of Fishers Flat. You have to go all the way back to shore to get around it! Guess I’m not sure how far west you would have to go to get around it though…….it runs across north of Fishers, Gregs, and Center get the idea!

walleye_dog
    Western WI

Thanks for the info Bobber. 2 of us are coming up with ATVs tommorrow and we are going to try to get out in that direction.
    Maybe see ya out there- Stay safe and good luck.
    Rob

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.