Winona Area Ice?

• VikeFan

I think I’m heading up to SE Minnesota for a few days, and I am curious about what the ice is like on the Mississippi backwaters, especially around Winona, since that is where usually fish. It sounds like there is better (colder) weather coming next week, but I won’t be able to make it up there then.

j_ericks
    Winona, MN

I was out last night and the ice is getting pretty bad . The rain we’ve got here has not been good at all. I personally am staying off the ice until we get some freezing temps. I don’t like it when my boot sinks into the ice

Art

Fished below the dam at Winona yesterday and talked to game warden. He basically stated that anybody that goes out on the ice now is nuts. By the way, fishing is pretty good below the dam. Good luck.

VikeFan

Thanks for the reports–I just decided today to stay in Iowa City until we get some good ice again. In the meantime, I am going to get my boat out and see how the walleye and sauger are biting on the Mississippi down here. I’m keeping my ice gear ready, though–we have a couple months of winter to go, and we’ll get some good ice again before spring really gets here.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Quote:

I’m keeping my ice gear ready, though–we have a couple months of winter to go,

Bite your tounge!
    As far as I am conserned it could be in the 60’s and fishing bass all year long.

Winona ice is getting a bit tricky and the bite has SUCKED!
    No reason to drive up right now, you have the right idea in fishing the river down there. We will keep you posted on the ice and when it gets better.

VikeFan

I am up in Minnesota for the weekend. I was wondering what the ice situation around Winona is now–I am trying out the Faribault area tomorrow, but might sneak over to the Mississippi on Sunday if I don’t have to bring my boat to fish…

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Made the rounds today…….ice was still in decent shape in the most popular places…….Airport, McNally and right along PI Road all still had 6+” of good ice.

We did however make the trek out to Sam Gordies and only found about 2 1/2 – 3″s in one spot we drilled…….similar amount at the secret spot too ……that’s thin enough to make a guy nervous.

As for a fishing report, it was pretty much SLOW!!! We caught 8 border-line keepers at airport, but other than that, most spots they were either little or no fish at all

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.