Bringing in the new year with gills and Crappies!

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Casey Goode and I have started to get sick of the fishing near stoddard and other community fishin’ holes….Sure you can catch ice, since you are ice fishing right? We decided today we wanted a little more than just catching ice so we went to goose island where the fishing pressure is a little more on the Down low. This spot can produce fish at times, especially when they are getting hammered everywhere else. We started near the culverts for those of you who know where we are talking about. We caught a few fish right away while site fishing, and then we didnt catch anything for about a half hour. We packed up the gear and started to move across the ice to a new spot. Ice was a little weak and saggy in areas while we were crossing so we got off and walked the road. When we got to the new spot, fishing was still slow, but we started to pick up a few more fish. We fished a long time, only a fish here or there but nothing special. Finally, a little later in the day, around 3, the fishing started to pick up. We noticed the fish were in the shallower water and scattered all over in the water collum, although the crappies and bigger gills were just below the ice which made for a heck of a fun time. The fishing started progressingly picking up, and we were icing lots of smaller crappies and medium to decent sized gills. I came to one small hole, probably only 4″ in diameter and i dropped my purist jig down there. All of a sudden i see this big mouth open and with a big “WOOSH” A big crappie had my jig. The fight was on and i finaly got him to pop his head through the hole. He didnt want to come the rest of the way though so i reached down and sort of squeezed and pulled him out. It was a very nice 12″ or so crappie. We fished until about 5 and caught several more smaller crappies and a few nice gills for casey to take home. I did catch a huge green sunfish that we decided to let go…that was before the action picked up. It was a fun day, and tomorrow i think i will either hit goose again or try down in the pits for some crappies….

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

my big Crappie and the nicest gill of the day…Fish were really taking the orange purist jig which i found on the ice!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

…and nice pics!

Cade…you’re making me hungry for some panies in the pan! ..and I just ate!

Keep it up and by spring I’m going to be fat(er)!

jdb
    freeport,IL

Quote:

my big Crappie and the nicest gill of the day…Fish were really taking the orange purist jig which i found on the ice!

I was wondering where that went here is my address…. lol, just joking. Nice fish thanks for the pics.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Nice report and pics as always Cade. Thanks.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.