Crappies on the Flasher?

• Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Ok Ok Some say you can. Great. Some say you can’t Ok too. As long a my flasher tells me when there is fish down there and what depth they are I am going to try to catch it. I will know for sure what it is when I get it to the top. Some of the fun is being suprised when you pull it from the hole.

scottsteil
    Central MN

CSP88..One post since 12/27/2004 that didn’t have to do with MarCum/Vexilar???? That should just about qualify you for the Ice Team or a Promotional Discount on a Vexilar

How is the fishing down in Iowa?

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

I usually tell what fish are down there by catching them, personally.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

CSP88..One post since 12/27/2004 that didn’t have to do with MarCum/Vexilar???? That should just about qualify you for the Ice Team or a Promotional Discount on a Vexilar

How is the fishing down in Iowa?

Thats a good one!!!!

I would say one thing… Try using a LX-5 you will be amazed!!

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Or better yet, I’ll claim the LX-5 can tell what the fish below me had for their last lunch. Maybe then I can be on the Marcum pro staff.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Or better yet, I’ll claim the LX-5 can tell what the fish below me had for their last lunch. Maybe then I can be on the Marcum pro staff.

Have you ever used a LX-5 before????? (no they can tell what a fish had for lunch)
    Use common sense when it comes to fishing…. Become familiar with the surroundings you are fishing. I know that you cannot dectect 100% of the time what fish is below you. Using common sense to determine what fish is below will eliminate a lot of confusion as to the species of fish on your flasher. But what you can tell is the size of the fish and the proximity to your lure..

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

In the end, any flasher will work, the operator needs to catch the fish.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Thanks guys….Scott- that was a really good answer. That got straight to the point and helped me a lot. I will have to try the lx-5 sometime…but i think for now im gonna stick with my lx-3 for at least a few years. Besides, if the fish is moving, like you said with the perch, wouldn’t you still be able to see that on the screen regardless of the flasher? Maybe the return signals are not the same between an lx-3 or an lx-5, but i would still think you could read the type of fish judging by its movements as stated before. Correct me if i am wrong. Thank you all for the input, now if we could just get some colder weather and let the fishing heat up!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Here is a true story that I noticed on the LX-3 while fishing on Monday
    I was in 11 fow and catching gills, very small gills You could easily see the seperation of the fish. Now, all the gills were thin lines. Then a little bigger lines were starting to appear. I dropped the jig in front of the bigger lines and WHAM! it was a small bass. Every time I dropped it in front of the bigger line I would nail a bass. When I went to the smaller line I would get a tiny gill. So, in that case, you could definitely tell what was what. So, in the same case it could have been seperating gills from crappie or eyes from perch
    I wish we could get some cold air also But, in the meantime, I am chasing eyes on the river out of the boat

scottsteil
    Central MN

That is exactly my point Wats. The Vexilar and last years LX-3 give you a good indication but the LX-5 takes it to a whole new level as far as ID. As more guys spend time using their LX-5’s they will be able to tell too

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I think I am going to have to get another one, so I can learn it twice as fast…

MURPHY
    WEST BEND , IA

THE FISHING IN I0WA HAS BEEN OFF AN EVERY WHERE THAT I HAVE BEEN BUT THE THING WE GOT GOING FOR US IS THAT THE ICE IS STILL 10″ THICK.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I haven’t seen 10″ of ice yet this year

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

we measured 10 inches in an iscolated area at stoddard the day after christmas at stoddard. Im sure its only 7-8 in that same area right now though i am seriously considering hitting the river this weekend with the boat.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

We had 12 inches two weeks ago on Miller Dam and about nine on Otter Lake. Both have thinner spots obviously and no one is driving on either anymore. The drilled ice shavings are very saturated unsafe for vehicle travel!

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.