Fireline Knots?

• col._klink
    St Paul

Anybody else have a hard time tying up this line??

I like it for ice fishing but the knots are so hard to tie.
    Maybe it is just me. With my sausage fingers??

So if you know a good knot help a brother out

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The palomar is the best knot I’ve found for braids (its usually the suggested knot from the manufacturer) and is very easy to tie.

big water
    Andover ,MN

james is rite that is the best knot and very easy and fast

sallie

I got some Power Pro ice line this winter. I use the palomar knot for all my regular Power Pro that I use for open water fishing.
    For me it is almost impossible when you have your line doubled to thread it through those tiny ice jigs.
    Is their any advice on a differen’t knot that would work?

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Sal: Thread it through single and then come back thru the other way. Now you have it double. Tie away!!

col._klink
    St Paul

Thanks guys. I use that knot most of the time but still have a hard time getting tight. Seems like I have to tie a couple overhand knots to get it tight. I will keep on keeping on………..

sallie

Sgt Rock
    Thank’s for the suggestion. That’ll work.
    Now why didn’t I think of that. I guess it was to simple.

big water
    Andover ,MN

also try tieing a barrel swivel on the fire line then run a small dia.mono or florocarbon leader with a rapala knot this works well with small eyed ice jigs

swami2806

Here’s a link for another knot for braided line…looks close to the ol’ standard fisherman’s knot…

There’s also a link for the polamer near the top

web page

sallie

While we’re on the subject of braided ice line I have another question.
    I’m trying this line on 1 reel because I thought I could save some ice jigs. A lot of times I get bit off by bass. I’ve only used it once and it was a little kinky. I’m sure if a person was fishing for walleye or perch where a person had something heavier on like a jigging spoon on it would be ok.
    I like the idea of putting a fluorcarbon leader on.
    I have some 6lb test P Line. Do you think that would be to heavy for sunfish or crappies? It seems like it is pretty small diameter.

rvrhntr
    Holmen WI / New Berlin WI / Pelican Lake WI

I use alot of fire line and use the same knot as everyone else. I do fish alot of clear water so I use the smallest 2 way swivel I can find and then put a carbon liter on either 2or4lb test. By using a swivel you have no need for a splitshot either. For ice fishing I rearly go bigger than 4lb except on tipups. Its always held up for me but someday I may regret it as for now I feel I get bit more often when using smaller lines.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.