Hand pulling a portable

• Deephole57
    MN

How tough is it to pull a two man Polar Sport by hand in this snow we are getting ?
    Never had a portable let alone no means to pull it so I’m curious what to expect.
    I think there is about 275 lbs total with it stuffed.

Cant wait for “driving” on any longer so I’m wondering if a a guy can pull these things 3 – 4 hundred yards without killing himself !!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I’m not sure how much snow you have down south but pulling a 300 # sled through more than 4 inches will give you one heck of a work out. I’ve done it with a polarsport and with an otter. Plus you’re wearing all your heavy gear. 2 guys pulling it isn’t as bad but I’ll guarantee you’ll be sweating.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I’m sweating and all out of breath just thinking about it. Of course I’ve never been one to pass up a cheeseburger or beer either so that might explain it.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

This depends on how you want to fish. It is not easy to pull a 2 man through the snow. If you are just getting it out, setting it up and staying for the day, you might be ok.
    I like my one man but, I am on the move alot. When there is more than one of us going out together, if needed, you can split up and cover more area until you find bitting fish. Mobility is the key for me.

Bret

Deephole57
    MN

Well I’m post hernia surgery and have issues to be careful of. Also being a old fart at 48 and in terrible shape makes for bad thoughts of this hand pulling effort !!

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

SOUNDS LIKE YOU COULD USE SOME SLED DOGS, THATS THE ONLY WAY I WOULD DO IT, OR LIGHTEN THE LOAD QUITE A BIT.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have the 3 man Polar..(big two man) and hand pulled mine a week or so ago about 4 blocks on a packed down trail. The portable had a heater, two rods in it…I’m 49 and it tip top health (in my mind) I won’t do it again…that’s what wheelers are made for!

birddog
    Mn.

It’s TOUGH!! Been there, done that! You can make it a heck of alot easier by waxing the bottom of the sled with ski wax. Works well.

BIRDDOG

twedul
    Holmen, WI

You will definitely want someone to help you if you don’t want another hernia. That is a lot of weight. Go with the basics or pull a second little sled to help share the load. I have an otter sled and whenever I pull that on snow you end up having some build up in the grooves of the sled and plowing a little snow in front of it. Also, you will be maxing out your heart rate if that is of concern to you!! Ted

dallgood
    Savage,MN

I pulled my clam 6800 out with very little gear on it and was embarrased on how many times I stopped for a breather! There was about 3″ of snow. I wouldn’t take the chance with the hernia. That would stink being laid up now the ice is getting good!

big water
    Andover ,MN

NOT HAPPENING, NOT FOR THIS CAT

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

JP Mason, This is a huge opening for you. Field tested strap Works awesome.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I guess my shanty isn’t 300 pounds, but i betcha it gets to be a good 150 with all the gear on it. I had two jammed full buckets on it, along with my flasher, auger, and heater on it today and it pulled fairly easily. This was through just a little hard packed slushy snow. I also had to pull it up a decent sized hill, but it wasn’t much of a problem. I have a 2 man clam. I dragged the clam about 400 yards a few weeks ago when we got that fresh 6″ of snow, it wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t that bad. Oh yeah, this was while it was popped up as well I guess im in my prime lol jk

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Cade? Will you come up here and pull my portable out for me!?

I know a fella that uses “PAM” on the underside to make it slide better.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I know a fella that uses “PAM” on the underside to make it slide better.

Some things are just better unsaid

col._klink
    St Paul

PAM must be a slippery person

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I should have known!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That graemlin is awesome I still can’t figure out how you get them on here

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.