jigging spoon Rod/Line setup help

• Kodiak
    Chaska, MN

I am wondering what you all use for jigging spoons as far as your rod choice/wieght/brand and also line….I have been having bad luck jigging spoons lately and am in a funk with which equipment i should use with which spoon…

Help!!!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Walleyes or crappies???

For walleyes….I have medium action berkly lightning rods with a Gander guide series ice reel and 6 lb test. I know a lot of people use ice lines but I just use trilene XL in the low vis green….I have never had problems with it and it is very low vis which is good when fishing places like Mille Lacs.

Jigging spoons…buckshot rattle spoons are always a good option. Otherwise there are hundreds of different styles.

Personally what I do…is start with something and see if the fish respond to it…if they don’t I switch to something bigger and flashier….or smaller and more subtle.

Let the fish tell you what they want. I usually have a rule of thumb…if I get 3 fish that seriously look but don’t take…then I start making adjustments until I find what triggers them…could be color or size or even just hook color. I have a ton of different spoons…let the fish tell you what they wont…don’t try to force something on them.

If you are agressively jigging..you might want to add an in line barrel swivel and leader to help reduce line twist or in murkier water like lake of the woods a small barrel swivel that hooks directly to the spoon works too.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I use Flourocarbon line, 6 pound, with a medium rod, 26 or 28 inchers. I do not use a swivel on my line. I tie direct to the O-ring and I use Glo Devils 99% of the time for Walleye & Perch.

If line is your issue, spool it up and don’t use it for a couple days. It takes a couple days to “fit” the spool.

Got to run…the ice is calling

Kodiak
    Chaska, MN

maybe the fireline micro ice is my problem??!?!? no sensitivity..i think that might be it…

i have had no luck with my buckshot spoons, do you guys keep em moving all the time or what…what jigging tecnique works best for you…

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Personally I usually jig pretty agressively when I am not marking fish to try and draw them in from further away. Once I start getting a mark I slow down the more solid the mark gets the slower I move it or I just hold it still. The key I think is getting them to follow it up. Once they are there..start slowly pulling it away from them, then pause once you see separation on the flasher, if they come up to it and don’t hit it….pull it up again maybe twitching it maybe just pulling it up slowly. Keep doing this until they hit it or lose interest. The further you can get them off the bottom the more likely you will get bit….USUALLY. The 23rd I was on Mille Lacs and I could pull fish 4+ feet off the bottom and they wouldn’t hit it and others as soon as I started pulling it up they would come up and whack it.
    I have caught walleyes on everything in my ice box….the glow devils Scott mentioned work really well, I have had very good luck on LOTW with them and with buckshots, I have also had good luck with crusher spoons…those are my 3 go to spoons to start…if they don’t work then I keep digging.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

fairly open ended ?…… Say You’re jigging anytype of fish off the bottom…..My favorite scenarion is to keep the spoon 2 ft or so off the bottom, then utilizing your flasher watch the fish become visible and the fish rises off the bottom. At this point you raise the spoon watching carefully how the fish responds. If the fish moves faster,…you move faster. Fish want the chase. A quick jolt of the bait is enough to trigger the fish into thinking the bait is running. This is the best scenario keep in mind. Other times pounding the bottom, or even laying it on the bottom, or a combination will trigger the fish.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.