Lake Pepin

• luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Anybody ice fishing Lake Pepin? My uncle has a home up there, that he just gave me permission to use when I please.
    Any suggestion on where to go, is the ice safe?

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I personally wouldn’t step foot out on lake pepin right now. I haven’t been up there this year, but live in Wabasha, and there is only 3-6 inches of ice around town in the backwaters and that is variable. Hopefully someone can tell you for sure, but I have been fishing shallower waters just in case. This recent warm weather really messed things up. I know guys who were fishing the lake with very limited success, but that was 2 weeks ago. They were not out very far either.

j_ericks
    Winona, MN

Well that changes my plans. Thats where i was headed today, but not now.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

maybe in a boat,two weeks ago i check the ice and there was about 2-3 inches and about a inch of honeycomb ice, there was some guys out down by maple springs about 3 weeks ago but that was pretty much pushing it.

jhalfen

Bring the boat and fish the river above the lake. It’s wide open, and the fish are biting. I know that even on a slow day on the river, I can boat more walleyes and sauger than I would during a hot bite through the ice. It’s a short boat ride from Everts to the biters!

schollmeier

There is was about 8″ two days ago in the bay by Maiden Rock. I didn’t get any fish, be carefull if you do go ice on the river a vary a lot. Your probably better off taking the boat out if you goal is ‘eyes.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Thanks for the info guys, but I can fish the river down here anytime. Our ice is getting iffy down here, and I am in need of a good ice fix.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.