Ice Fishing Jigs, A Secret Or A Reality?

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Ice fishing jigs are bought by the thousands every year by ice fisherman for a good reason. They are smaller in size and weight than other jigs. Their light weight and size seem to appeal to crappies and bluegills and other panfish with a waxie or spike on them as they glide and shake and rock back and forth and jump up and down in the water in front of the fish they seek. And they get bit too. And they continue to catch fish all winter long and then something happens. The days start to get alitle longer and the sun stays in the sky longer and even the temps start to get warmer and the ice starts melting. When the end of the ice season fades fisherman everywhere start putting their ice fishing equipement including those ice fishing jigs away til another season. There is a secret which is really a reality that those same crappies and bluegills and other panfish that you chased after all winter long on those small ice fishing jigs will still bite as well and even better on those same little ice fishing jigs all spring and summer long too. Think about it for a minute. Do their mouths get bigger in warmer seasons? Do they grow to be twice their size come summer? No they don’t. The secret that some ice fishermen have figured out is that its a reality that those same fish like the same food [bait] all year long that you caught them on in the winter time. And that those tiny little jigs work all year long too. And that means that this year instead of putting those little jigs away its really time to stock up on those great fish catching jigs before most Bait and Tackle store owners put them away. Which means this is a great time to stock up for the spring summer and fall thats coming our way after we all have a great ice fishing season. And another secret thats really a reality is that some panfisherman are catching their fish all year long jigging their favorite little ice fishing jigs on shorter rods that most only use for ice fishing. Its time to ”rethink ice fishing” because alot of the same equipement like jigs, 3-color flashers, longer ice fishing rods, small reels, spoons, waxies and other goodies are really a much better investment than some think because you can use this equipement year around to catch your favorite fish.
    Thanks, Bill

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I definitely agree with that. In the open water season I used to fish with Lntony a lot down in the LAX area for gills. He always had ice jigs on tipped with a waxie. I used to laugh and think he was joking. That was until he outfished me 5-1 on a consistant basis. I now use them all winter,summer, and fall. I think they hit the ice jigs better in open water than winter. So, the secret is out

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I learned this lesson about 10 years ago fishing up near Aitkin, MN. Partner was using small ice jigs and waxworms and was running circles around me. His theory was that the fish wouldn’t necessarily want the classic “big glob of worms” unless they were really aggressive. Like most fish, they aren’t always in that mood so it makes sense to try and finese them. Here’s another trick: Waxworms are easy to knock off the hook. I cut up a leech into little pieces and use a chunk of that. It’s as tough as leather and the fish like the scent.
    Jeez Bill now I’m thinking about warm spring days and shallow panfish. I can’t wait!

Rootski

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Rootski, how do you cut up a leech ? Them things are tough

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Wats,

I like SHARP knives I used to use crock sticks, now I use a neat little sharpener called the EZ Sharp. Sliderfishin told me about the things and boy do they work. I’m talking “shave the hair off the back of your hand” sharp.

Oh, and I lay the leech down on an oar or a piece of wood and cut them up there. A cutting board of some kind really helps.

Rootski

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am definitely going to try that this spring I know they like the little leeches whole as well. Cutting them up will make them last a little longer

shayla

C’mon Bill, did ya have to let the cat out of the bag? I’m blaming you when the local hardware store runs out of micro-jigs!

Seriously, the past couple of years I’ve noticed that these tiny jigs, just like you mention, catch lots of fish….and nice ones too….all season long, especially deadly on BIG BASS with a tiny minnow attached. I rarely throw a spinner-bait anymore, that’s how good these little jigs work! Good Luck to all who try it

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Rootski, how do you cut up a leech ? Them things are tough

Come on Wats…just bit ’em off….geesh!

An old panfisherman taught me to use ice flies in the summer months…if you are a true panfisherman..they are the NORMAL lures.

Another trick for when you can see them on the flasher but can’t get them to bite is a plain size 18 dry fly hook with a waxie.

A number of times I’ve watch gills suck the waxie on a ice fly…the smallest ice flies…and the hook never gets into there mouth. Your spring bobber never moves. There isn’t a clue that they are down there mouthing the tip end of your worm.

By using this ultra light hook, when they suck the wax worm into there mouths the hook goes with it…then the trick is to set the hook. A camera is the best if the waters clear…but you can get pretty good with a flasher too.

pfluggy
    ROSEMOUNT, MN

dont forget to try plastics on them jigs . i just dont use much live bait any more.come to think of it last yr.i never used it on the ice ,been out 2 times on the ice this yr. and not used it too.
    this last summer no bait also, just plastic of some kind.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I agree, but think they need to be used in the right situation. One thing I have noticed about the ice jigs is you need to be as vertical as possible and ready to set the hook asap. I quit using ice jigs while fishing above wing dams in the summer becuase they were getting inhaled before I could set the hook. I ended up having to keep a lot of fish because they would have died anyway, and ended up cutting line and hoping all would be okay with others. I am not against them, just think they shouldn’t be used in some situations. If the fish are really snapping and beating you to the punch and just inhailing baits a long shanked hook will be much safer for the fish than an ice jig that can not be retrieved.

Trust me Bill, I love to use them in the summer around wood while fishing vertical, just noticed a problem with them while casting them back to a wing dam and wanted to know if anyone else noticed it. I just think you have to be quick with them, and fishing a wing dam “WALLEYE” style hasn’t really worked for me. Well, it worked very well, but was just dangerous for the fish.

sallie

I also have switched to ice jigs for gills in the summer. It seems like I have had much better luck. I also like wax worms much better than worms. Once in a while they want a little piece of worm over the waxie.
    It seems like I save a lot more of the throwbacks that inhale the ice jigs. I always use a pair of forceps and it seems like the ice jig comes out a lot easier than a straight hook.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Great report Bill .I love ice gear in the summer for pan fish.Heck talking about leeches I can remember when Wats would hardly touch them ,I would almost have to talk him in to useing them when we were fishing for eyes.But now he has come around and has no problem.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Wats would hardly touch them

I never use leeches…unless my favorite wife puts them on the hook for me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.