heavy gear

• swami2806

Hi everyone…new here. I live in Connecticut and will be going to upstate NY to ice fish in February. I am trying to get an outfit (rod and reel)together to handle the larger lake fish up there. Around here, I can only find cheap, ultra lite ice fishing outfits. I use my light spinning reel on a medium ice rod for around here–all I need. I found a good heavy ice fishing rod, and now am trying to get a decent baitcasting reel for it that can handle the lunkers in hopes I can snag one. The silstar/southbend/HT ice fishing baitcasters just won’t cut it–they’re plastic. What do you Wis. and Min. guys use for heavy rods and reels on the big lakes? Thanks in advance… –Jim

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

WELCOME TO IDA .

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to IDA CTMountainman!!!

I am sure that some of our ice experts will jump in here with some good advice for you.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Welcome to the family CTMountainman
    What kind of fish are we talking and how big? That will better determine the kind of gear you will need. With that info, the guys on here who go after big fish through the ice can recommend the ideal gear

swami2806

Man, that was fast! Thanks for the replies and thanks for the welcome. I will be going for lake trout mainly. I trolled for those up at like Winnipasockee (?) in New Hampshire and had a tough time getting them in on heavy spinning gear. As far as the guys in Wis. and MN, that is mostly curiosity—what kind of gear do need to get in a 30-40 pound musky, for example. Wow! I can’t imagine ice fishing gear made for that. Thanks again.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

There was a discussion on what gear to use for Lake trout on here just a few days ago. I will go and see if I can find it

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Garcia 5500c3 should do the trick on your heavy little stick. Spooled up with 10-12 lb.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I would go with set up from South Bend in Medium heavy, and team it up with this reel….

swami2806

Thanks fishaholik and fish-eye. I figured the answer would be all-season gear, given the junk I’ve come across made for icefishing. fish-eye…is the reel you posted the garcia 5500c3 fishaholik was talking about? Thanks.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Yep!
    Cabella’s can set you up online!

swami2806

sorry eye-guide…just realized I called you fish-eye!.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.