Mille lacs Flats…

• roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

I have the Lakemaster disk in my computer and when I am looking on it for a good spot to fish a flat, what am I looking for? The steepest part of the flat, turns? I guess my general question is what should I look for as far as where I should I fish on a flat? RR

scottsteil
    Central MN

I would concentrate on the deep edges of the flats. They are very easy to see on Lakemaster because the contours are all stacked on top of each other. You will get fish on top of the flats, but they are not up there very long usually. However, when they are up top, they are usually there for a reason…TO FEED!

Some spots on the edges of flats are good for no real reason. They appear to just be the edge, but usually there is more to it. Usually it has to do with Bug Larvae or baitfish.

There is a lot of edges to the flats out there. Using Lakemaster makes it much easier when you are in search of walleye. Of course, points and turns are always popular spots but don’t overlook any edge. Usually the fish are either there or they are not. It doesn’t take to long to figure that out.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

The best thing to look for is where people are not set up on a flat…. I know thats hard to do while sitting at your computer..so write down a bunch of coordinates that you think look good.. Have 5-6 spots you want to try! Inside turns, tighter contours, outside turns, sometimes you can see on the map of some litte structure changes some distance away from the main flat. These are usually really good. Trial and error is a good thing when it comes to fishing the flats…Who knows you may find your honey hole.
    When you go let us know how you did.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Are you talking about Ice or soft water? Not positive about ice, but soft water; It is typically the first 20 feet on top of the flat, the break itself and just off the bottom of the break. If you can find a inisde turn, finger,steeper part of the break, etc. even better! Good luck, there are many productive looking areas on Mille Lacs, but the most important is to find the ones that hold fish and hold fish that are feeding.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Ok Roosterrouser. You just won my liking. Your title is RoosterRouser, in your avatar you are holding a buck with no blaze orange on, and you are asking about my favortie lake in the whole world ! Welcome aboard to IDA, its the best place on the net

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Wow!! Great information. I fish the flats alot in the summer but am definitly looking for winter advise. I guess trial and error sounds like the best idea to me. Every flat has feeding fish on it, ya just gotta find em’!
    Lip Ripper, Deer was taken this year via rifle near emily Mn. (Photo taken in office parking lot prior to taking to taxidermist thus no blaze orange) Love Northern Iowa roosters…Thanks guys. RR

scottsteil
    Central MN

I wouldn’t say all the flats hold fish. However, a lot of the good areas in the summer are good in the winter

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

This is sort of becoming an issue with Mille Lacs. Its a popular lake and everyone and their dog knows it. Using the map on your PC is a great way to start. “Start” is the key word. I say this because no matter what flat you’re looking at, odds are very good you’re not the first to say ” that looks like a good area”, and then go sit on it. But this shouldn’t be and isn’t an issue. I’d be willing to bet that there are people on your point, turn, finger, or drop. So it important to know that your “point” may be unfishable. However knowing that that point, turn, finger, or drop is not the only fishy area will help you tremendously. Try the “whole area”. By this I mean top bottom down the break etc etc. Too many people sit at home or at the landing putting in coordinates only to be disappointed on arrival simply because their point on a point is occupied. Mille Lacs is huge! Theres no reason for congregations unless you’re at the IDA get together . Milly is getting more and more pressure every year and this one is no different. If I fished with everyone else on the point on a point I wouldn’t have any pictures to post! It can stressful when you see everyone piled on every area that looks fishy on your PC. Don’t let that get in your way. They way I see it…… If everyone else stays in their shanty towns,…. All the more ice for the rest of us
    So don’t get frustrated by numbers,…Its going to be a busy year.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.