Nite bite 12/28/05

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Amwatson and JP Mason got on Lake Onalaska around 3:00. I arrived around 4:00 to find out the bite was slow. They were catching some dinks. I believe they may of had a keeper gill or 2.
    Slop Bass showed up around 4:30. He knocked the dust off his ice fishing gear and then stuck the nicest gill I seen for the evening.
    Just before dark Wats caught a small crappie. I thought it was a good sign Yep that was the bite for that area. We made a move, set up and gave it another try. Wats stuck a crappie again right off the bat. OK, this is the spot, not. That was it. It is early yet for this area to have a good nite time bite. Things should start to heat up in the middle of January, early February.

I know you have all heard this over and over but, there is some bad ice out there. Amwatson, JP Mason and Slop Bass stopped dead in there tracks at one point. There was a spot about 30 yards wide were there was ice then a 1/2 inch pocket of water then about 2 inches of ice. You know, the stuff that scares the out of ya as it moves below your feet. We hit the spot and I moved away From Slop so we weren’t so close to each other and kept going. After I got across it, no one was with me They were still poking with the spud before they crossed this section. If you don’t know ice this is a good move. If you are scared of ice, stay off. We need a cold snap

Good luck fishing people

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Looks like snow int the forcast tonight. Not going to help the cause.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good Report Bret!

And your right…encountering ice like you guys did last night takes all the fun out of fishing for me!

Glad you guys made it off without getting wet!

scottsteil
    Central MN

It is suprising how little ice you guys have down there. No ice and tough fishing, that is not a good combo. Still nice to get out though

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Heck yeah I stopped dead in my tracks. Feeling smushy ice under your feet isn’t something I like. I side stepped my way back on to a better area and kept going. We may have been in 2-3ft of water, but still didn’t want to get wet. Wats’ spud went through on 2 hits, so it was definitly soft.

Briank-I showed these guys how to set the hook on a monster gill

Scott- there is a good 6″ in most area’s, but like anywhere, there are patches that can be trecherous.

j_ericks
    Winona, MN

Bret, we had the same thing going on in winona yesterday. Started at about 5:00 and didnt bring up the first fish until about 6:00. I couldn’t seem to catch more then one fish in one spot. It was a lot of work for not one keeper hopefully it will pick up.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Slop, you get the Gill on a scum frog?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Slop put the hammer down on that gill. I think he set the hook so hard the fish came flying out of the hole It was a bit slow as far as the bite goes. But, hey we got to sit around and tell stories and drink some barley pop We will find fish very soon again. They are there it is just a matter of time until we find, and then they better watch out

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.