12/28/05 Gills and Crappies

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i fished from about noon:30 to about 5 today with casey goode at Goose Island. We have gotten sick of the fishing at stoddard so we decided to try goose….For once, i can say i am actually glad i chose goose island over stoddard! We started catching fish right away on waxies, and started putting a couple keepers on the ice. Still quite a few little 5 and 6 inch fish, but nothing like the 3 and 4 inchers we were seeing at stoddard I decided to try a plastic wedge because the fish were starting to shy away from the waxie. This was yet another good choice. After switching, i started catching a lot more fish. We Iced around 10 fish at the culverts, including a big 12 inch crappie that casey caught, but then the bite slowed a ton. We decided to pack up and move accross the ice about 250 yards and once again, we made the right choice. We settled down and started catching some more fish. we iced a few more keepers and several small sized crappies before dark. It was a fun day, and it looks like we made some good decisions PS- the crappies were just under the ice, while the gills were down a little further, about a foot down. We were fishing on about 6-8 inches of ice, but when we were moving across the ice, we went through a slough that had several big open spots, well too big to be a fishing hole. we checked it and found it to be less than 2″! Deffinately not good. This area had a little current so that would be the culprit. YOU HEARD IT FROM ME—– WATCH THE ICE! you shouldn’t have to worry if you know what you are doing however.

Well, good luck, and stay safe!
    Cade

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

finally got the pic off my cell phone…the crappie is on top and you can see some of the gills behind it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.