12-23-05 Stoddard

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Well i hit the ice today around 9:30 to chase some panfish. I started out trying a few different jigs and had minimal results, until about 10 when i started to catch a few. The bite today was pretty consistent, but there were a lot of teeny tiny fish. I started in the first group, to the left of the boat house as you are coming out. I caught probably 40 fish before Nick davis and Kris yoshizumi showed up. at this time, the bite slowed dramatically, and i moved north about 100 yards. I set up on a couple holes and caught one fish..still not satified so i moved another 20 yards. BAM found ’em. I started catching a lot of fish, left in right, and actually caught a few that had decent size. I sat on that hole for quite a while and caught over 30 out of it. Nick caught 5 or 6 maybe while he was only 10 feet away (isn’t it wierd how that happens?) After Nick and Kris left, i decided that i wanted to move out because the fish were just too small to satisfy me. I had at least 75-80 fish by this time, maybe 20-25 keepers. I decided to take a big risk and i walked all the way over by the rock wall in hopes of catching a nice sunset bite. I was in luck. I set up the shack after a grueling walk and immidiately started catching fish. I even got a double at one point. I started hopping around and caught quite a few more before i left. It was a great day and i bet i caught 100 or more.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

a nice bunch of fish….(all fish were released today, however)

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

DOUBLE! ( the top one is a very nice 9+…that ice hole is 8 inches just for reference )

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

getting dark, but a very nice 9″+ dandy!

emover
    Malcom, IA

Cade,
    You got the knack

dave

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

thanks, and i forgot to add a couple important details. I was using several things before i figured them out, one of them was a purple little mic tipped with a waxie, until a dinner plate sized gill (I mean at least 10″ ) Broke me off when it got stuck in the hole. With a kick, it freed itself and was gone. Keep in mind, i was fishing a 6″ hole…imagine pulling that bad boy through a 4″ hole! If i would have pulled that Fish up, i would be considering putting it on my wall. However, despite the loss of the little mic, I still managed to pound the heck out of the fish on a tiny white hair jig which i found behind my computer desk a while ago This was also tipped with a waxie. I caught a few fish here and there on other things like dedsticked jigs w/ waxies and what not but when i was mobile, i always had the hair jig tied on.
    I don’t know if i mentioned it, but the ice was at least 10″ it appeared in the first spot, and their were four wheelers, snow mobiles, air boats, heck there was even a hovercraft out. (The guy is an absolute hole, i mean he was flying by the group of people at speeds of at least 30, and only about 30 yards away. That thing was loud, annoying, and down right rude). In the second spot that i fished, there was less ice, but better ice. It was about 7-8 inches here.
    Well i guess that about sums it up. Sorry for being such a long one, but i had a lot of details that i wanted to cover.
    Ill be back in action on monday so look for my post!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.