any idea’s

• smokey420
    kendall,wi.

i’ve been fishing the river 4 a few years from my boat but never through the ice. could anyone point me in the right direction 4 catching walleyes through the ice?the only place i know is castle rock and thats not so good.was out to stoddard 4 the 1st time last week,caught some nice gills and 1 crappie and lots of little bass.with all them little bass you would think thered be big ones not to mention pike but i never saw not 1 tip up.how come?does anyone ever fish the area called shady maple?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

both can be great holes…i never fish stoddard with tips, but shady maple has some great pike and bass. Try crappie minnows in there for those jumbo perch as well….
    Good luck

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I have taken some nice pike out of Stoddard using smelt on tip ups. I normaly have one hangin’ unless I am doing alot of moving.

Shady Maple is more popular to the tip up fishermen. Best time is the first ice.

As far as eyes through the ice, we need it to get alot colder to freeze up the dams. Genoa and Dresbch both produce good saugers and eyes ice fishing. The lower bay by Dresbach freezes up good and produces great action for Northern and at times the eyes.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the ice!!!

twedul
    Holmen, WI

I know a bunch of guys that fish in front of the Tremealeau dam during the coldest times of the year(January). I would guess that might be the case around most dams. You can sometimes fish the side bay at dresbach on the minnesota side directly south of interstate 90. All I can tell you. Ted

rvrhntr
    Holmen WI / New Berlin WI / Pelican Lake WI

I have fished below the dam at trempleau a few times. But you have to watch the conditions. The ice is never great ice but it gets thick enough to be on. The fishing has been good the times I have done it. I have also beeen out in boats the same time in differnt years. So dont be to dareing if it dosnt look good its not. If you can get out I have had my best luck on jigging spoones tipped with a minow head. Best of luck hope you hammer em Keep us informed if you can get out I am looking forward to hitting it myself

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.