ice buildup on auger blades?

• jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

anybody have any tricks to keep the ice from building up on a power auger blade? I have a SM Express and when the blades are cleand it cuts really fast, when there is ice on them it’s a challenge to drill through butter. Any tricks?

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I have witnesses, I drill alot of holes to find fish. I am using a 8″ auger (jiffy) which I love.
    This is my field test and what I have seen. 2-3 cents worth
    With the temps we have had here, below zero in the morning, warming to a balmy 10 degrees, why would you cut a hole and lay your auger down in the snow The snow melts and freezes to your auger, #1.
    After cutting a hole, clean the snow off in the spot you plan on laying your auger (blade at least). Also tip #2, after cutting a hole with the blade clear of water, give it a rev. This will throw water off the blade and shaft before laying it down where you have cleared the snow.
    Tip 3#. Still frooze Man that is making it tough. Ive been there. Do you hit the blade with your skimmer Nope, you already have a hole cleared, place your blade in the water, this will help thaw the ice from the blade.
    I do spend a ton of time on the ice. These are the tricks that work for me on very bitter cold days. Hope I didn’t waste my time typing this out and it helps!

Good luck fishing people
    Bret

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I used to have that same problem with my SM, but I don’t have it anymore
    But, I would follow Bret’s tips. I have spent some time on the ice with him and he really does drill a TON of holes His auger has never had an ice buildup and always cuts like a champ.

birddog
    Mn.

After you drill your hole, lift the auger up and run it wide open for a few seconds. Most of the water and snow will fly off. Works for me.

BIRDDOG

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

Spray blades with Pam or WD-40 before you cut a hole should take care of problem

scottsteil
    Central MN

That is very good advice Bret

twedul
    Holmen, WI

Thanks for the tips Bret. Simple, yet overlooked sometimes. I will have to give them a try. Ted

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.