Prior Lake Ice

• gary_wellman
    South Metro

Anyone got an ice update as of the weekend? 4-wheelers out there yet?

Any fish yet???

Wanting to get out Friday to skip out of work!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I’m going to swing by and see, rumor has it they are out, quite a few ice houses , and even some cars and trucks on the ice, though I highly, highly doubt that’s a safe idea…

gary_wellman
    South Metro

HOUSES!!!!!!!????????

CARS!!!!!!!!!!????????

WOW!!!!!!!

Maybe this cold snap has put some solid ice out there?

trwilson
    Savage Minn.

I was out on Carls Lake just south of Prior on Sat. there was about 3.5 inches of clear ice and about 1 inch of cloudy. I didnt feel that comfortable walking on that much ice.
    Terry

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Really? 3.5 on Carls? I swung by carls first, since it’s closest to my house, and I talk to a couple nice guys who said 6-7 inches of ice…

I did not get a good idea of what prior really has, but there are indeed some perm. ice house out there not too many. Trucks were all parked on shore on sand point, there were 2 cars that were probably on the ice, though I can’t believe it’s very deep where they were parked anyways, talked to one other guy out there scouting the ice, he said there appears to be snow/almost layer of air/ then 3-4 inches or ice, according to his friends. I didn’t get too much, I’m a little sick (bad cough) so I didn’t attempt to run out there and test it for myself There were however a bunch of snowmobiles out on the lake, appearing to run pretty much everywhere, take that for what it’s worth

Either way I get the vib the ice is mostly fishable, Prior does have a few spots I’d stay off all winter though. It will be interesting to see how the ice looks come friday, the weather is looking pretty warm, maybe that will be a good thing.

-Nick

trwilson
    Savage Minn.

I think I talked to those same guys when I first went out they said about 6 inches but when I drilled my holes it wasn’t anywhere near that. By the way fishing was pretty goodgot about 20 crappies and sunfish asmall northern and a largemouth in about 3 hoursTerry

dallgood
    Savage,MN

stopped by the beach last night and saw a couple houses ready to go out. snowmobiles were blasting all over. I was on fish lake Sun. and there was 5″. Drove by Carl’s on the way home and saw 10-15 flip-ups just past the point. Looking to fish Prior soon keep the reports coming!

Kodiak
    Chaska, MN

stopped by last night and seems once a couple perms get out there…(when it rains it pours!!!) there are a lot of people out there now with perms, portables, wheelers, and trucks are parked on the ice. A lot of traffic last night on the lake, no trucks driving on the ice but a lot of atv’s. If you come from the north sportsmans access there is a nice wide packed down road that everyone has been taking out there LOL…

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

I’ll let you know when I get back.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Lots of 4 wheelers out and a ton of snowmobiles. About a foot of ice on it now there are some big permanate houses out on the ice. The fishing was good a lot of sinnies and a perch or 2 in the mix. The fish were suspended off the bottom about 3-5 feet when fishing in 25 fow.

jwellsy

MSNBC just had a story with video of 6 cars that broke thru the ice yesterday 12/27/05 at Prior Lake, but were able to be towed out.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Wasn’t it Prior……..about 15 years back……….where 10 or something cars went in, one after another, on a foggy night????

I’m sorry, but taking a vehicle out on the ice at this stage……..Is just begging you to get into the Darwin Awards!!!!!!

Upper Red even has bad ice right now, where a vehicle went in.

Thanks for the updates everyone! But with this warm weather, I think it is time to take the boat to P4!!!!!

ICU
    Coon Rapids,MN

be wary with the warm weather we have been having, not alot of good ice being made.Clear lake near forest lake 5 inches….

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Has anyone else noticed that this is an anual issue on Prior? Wouldn’t you start figuring it out at some point?

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I never fully understand why people park their cars on the lake, but then walk out to fish. Is the extra 50 yards really that big of a deal?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.