weekend fishing on mille lacs ( sorry so late)

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I have been going out of the myrmar access on all of my adventures this year. I fish the first break on Saturday did well again on perch and had a lot more walleyes so up during the day. the evening bite for walleyes right now is on fire… lots of healthy big fish, along with the smaller slot fish.. On sunday i loaded up the sleds and took off for the flats out of the myr mar access again. we stopped at Deans flat to start. Nothing.. Didn’t even graph a fish, for at least a 1/2 hour. We then left Deans flat and headed to schultz flat. I don’t know what the problem was but we could not mark a fish on top, on the edge, or even in deeper water. So after a 1/2 hour off we went again to another flat. I think the rocket is the name. We found a nice 16″ walleye frozen from the day before on the ice. But still didn’t see much for fish. Last stop was Agates Needle. we finally found some fish here but they were small. All less than 12″ for walleyes and no perch to speak of. Enough is enough! We headed back into the shoreline break were I had really good success this fall trolling. A well known spot. “stairway to heaven” is what a few IDAers call it. We set up for the night on the deep side of the break 22′ fow. It didn’t take long for the perch to find us. Caught a few decent perch along with couple of pout.. As the magical hours approached the walleyes moved in like clock work. I think we ended up with 3 fish over 25″ that evening with mess of nice eaters.
    It was a great weekend of fishing even though sunday we had to work for them. Lure of choice on saturday for perch and walleyes were the Genz worms with Gulp for bait. On sunday for the walleyes searching was the Northland rattle spoon and the glo devil in the perch color. these same lures were used in the evening to put the majority of the fish on the ice.
    Lots of ice on the flats!! 12″ at least.. However i would be more careful on the shorelines that have the most snow on them. The ice is thinner! I think about only 9″-10″ at best. If you have the time, now is the time to go!! As I see Bobbers report of the flats going good yesterday. The fish are on the move!!!
    Good luck to all and be careful no ice is safe yet!!!!!!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.