Fishing trip Planned to Winne

• jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

I have a fishing trip planned on Feb. 9 and wondering if we should try spending a half day on the Upper Red Lake chasing some crappies?
    We stay in Bena and will arrive on Thursday afternoon. I have been told that the Upper Red Lake is a place to go if you want to fish for crappies. My thought was to get to Bena, unload the trucks then head to Red Lake. How far is it from Bena? Is it worth the trip? Looking for advice, if anyone can provide their thoughts that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

BeadHead
    Minnesota City, MN

JP, We did that same trip a few years back, but we leave from Winona. We didn’t have any luck for crappies that night, and it is a drvie from Bena to URL. I think it took us an hour and a half, the roads aren’t the best. We have always talked about doing it again, but always run out of time. Hope this helps.

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

Thank for the information. That is my concern. After driving from Onalaska to Bena, the guys are ready for a little fishing and a few It will also depend on the weather. Are you planning another trip this year? We look forward every year.

jresoxhunter

Hey, I would definately make the trip to URL…Me & 8 of my closest buddies made the trip from Rochester (7 hrs) up there a couple years ago. It was -18’F when we left the hotel every morning & it WAS worth every degree. We did not catch a TON of fish (30-40) per day but they were the BIGGEST craps I have ever seen. Had a few ‘eyes too that were caught by accident & they were fun as well. I am not sure if they have opened it up to the general public (for ‘eyes) but still worth the trip any way you slice it. If you have never caught a 3 pound crappie, make the trip…..esox hunter

BeadHead
    Minnesota City, MN

We are plannning on going up in January again. We always try to do good on perch in the morning on Winnie and then head to URL for the afternoon/night bite.

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

Good information. I talked to a local that makes a trip each year, Last year they made an afternoon trip to URL and the crappies, that what has me thinking about it. I have never looked at how to get to URL from Bena, is it fairly easy directions? Is it only a early morning or evening bit? I have so much to learn and so little time to learn it.

Keep the good information flowing, it all helps.

jp_mason
    Onalaska, WI

jresoxhunter
    I believe we made the same trip that year. It was COLD. Most of the froze on the way up. We learned, and it will never happen again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.