power auger blade?

• ltwillia0506
    La Crosse WI

I was wondering about how long does a blade last on a power auger as i have a jiffy 30 10 inch and i replaced the blade last year and now am thinking about doing it again as it was cutting slow to day. maybe i am using it wrong or what? I push down on the auger some but that is about it what could it be

fishinfool
    mn

They get dull, especially if you hit mud or sand in the ice or bottom, weeds in the ice can dull them also. and just plain old regular use will dull them. I go thru 3 sets of blades a year. Some people do more. FF

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

That’s some serious hole cuttin FF. I replace mine every 2 years. Make sure the shaft is tightened to the power head, mine came loose and wobble in the hole a little. I also have the Jiffy 30. Three sets???

vern
    Richfield, MN

I went 5 years on my LazerMag & I cut a lot of holes. But that’s really too long without sharpening or replacing. I just replaced them & the new blades have made cutting a breeze so far this year. Like Fishinfreak, you should probably sharpen or replace every couple years.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Your blades will last as long as you want them, You have a chipper blade on that Jiffy which should get you years of use. The serrated Lazer blades will go bad just by nicking them on anything. Its possible your blade could have been installed improperly over the years and bent your auger shaft or cutting holes with a bad blade will also bend the shaft. Once the shaft has been damaged, the auger will never cut the same. I would recommend a new Jiffy Lighting 7 inch D-icer Armor auger.. You will be very happy with that auger. Theres no need for a 3.0 10 inch unless your renting out fish houses,..

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/augers/jiffy/2HP_augers.html#Anchor-Jiffy-32153

fishin789

with the chipper blade you should be able to file a new edge on it. I have an eskimo with chipper blades I bought back in the mid 80’s. I’m still using the orginal blades. have sharpened them only 4 times.this year I’m gonna put on a new set of blades. but thats only because I got one heck of a deal on new blades off of ebay.

ltwillia0506
    La Crosse WI

i know they were installed right and how can you bend an auger blade i have never heard of that before. i taked to a fellow fisherman and he said to just reshapen the blade because the new blades aren’t that sharp but he can make them sharper on both sides. I also put fresh gas in it today and that made it cut better also, as i made it to no choke today on lie the other day when it would only run at half choke. any other help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.