My NEW LX-5!!!!!!

• luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Oh BABY!!! This thing is so sweet!!! I am getting up at three in the morning to go out and work some crappies!!!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That is a sweet looking unit Nice looking case as well. I just might be making the switch to Marcum soon. The bright display is the big seller for me

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Watson- dude, it is so much brighter than my old fl-18.. I am going to use it tomorrow, ALL DAY!!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

The Fl-18 is super bright with inside viewing and in perfect in direct sunlight. I havent seen a Lx-5 in action but from your pic, it looks to be the same..

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Never had a problem seeing my “old” LX3 in bright daylight, tested that around a 100 times or so. Haven’t decided if I need a new LX5 yet, but it’s tempting, very tempting…. Stuck between that and a nice color graph, for summer, I cna probably con the wife into both

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

I havent seen a Lx-5 in action

Well I HAVE seen them both in action my friend, and they aren’t the same. The lx-5 is by far brighter. Three leds or two, which would be brighter and crisper? Is a two led flashlight brighter than a three? I think not..

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Is a two led flashlight brighter than a three? I think not..

Well since both flashers use three led, not sure what you mean??

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Dude- vexilar uses two leds and blend them to make the third color…”A three color LED readout” straight from the vexilar site. Readout is the keyword. Marcum uses three independant leds, no blending = crisper and brighter, correct me if I am wrong.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote from the Vexilar website “A three color LED readout that tells you if the targets you see are weak (green) medium (orange) or strong (red). This three color LED technology has proven to be the most reliable and accurate way of understanding where fish are holding.

Ah Vexilar has been using three LED’s (red, orange, green) long before you were even born..

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

Dude- vexilar uses two leds and blend them to make the third color..????

What the heck are you talking about? Blending?? What the heck is that??

bigpike

Lets play nice in the sand box boys….. they are both fine units…

scottsteil
    Central MN

Derek, you know as well as anyone Vexilar uses blended color. Two lights spun together to get the third color. That is why they are not as crisp or bright as the MarCum units.

There is a difference between colors are lights..a big difference in fact.

The MarCum LX-5 is not blended color, it is 3 seperate LED lights..no blending!

Kodiak
    Chaska, MN

the 3 colors are really crisp, i turned it on at home and put it in the demo mode and thought i was gonna burn out my retina’s. I went from a fl-8 to a lx-3tc, had to get used to orange being the weak signal return though instead of green on the vex….

scottsteil
    Central MN

Kodiak, it won’t take you long to get used that that TrueColor display. It is awesome

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Well I had the chance to test the new LX-5 this weekend.. Amazing is the best word to describe the unit.
    I have three fl-18’s that are going to be collecting a lot of dust or will soon find new homes.
    To go into a little detail about the unit that has not already been mentioned. The ability to see where the fish are inside your cone. I can tell when a fish is an inch away from my hook and i can tell when they are 10 feet!! It is also much easier to determine the size and usually type of the fish with this unit as well.
    The fine line transducer is great. You don’t have thick lines on the flasher like the fl-18. Much smaller, more crisp, and more detail. The zoom feature is also great, using a vexilar for so long I am used to this feature so I used it a lot. Works great when you are in 20+ feet of water, anything shallower the zoom is not needed. The power of the unit overall is amazing also, I have the ability to see fish that are swimming very tight to the bottom clearly instead of just a flicker every once in a while.
    I could go into much more detail of the Marcum LX-5 but a lot has been said already. If you are a really into detail about icefishing or a novice icefisherman this unit is very user friendly and very detail orientated at the same time. I would highly recommend contacting Scott Steil about the new unit!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

How much does one of these units cost?

Kodiak
    Chaska, MN

$479.99 at gander.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Keep this topic hot as the coals in a 3 day fire. I’m just itching to drop the on Holst with a left hook at the Mille Lacs GTG!

JK James

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

$479.99 at gander.

It’s going to be difficult selling this item on the wife, after dropping some serious $$$ on a new bow.

I think I can do it though.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Congrats on the new Bow Blue I guess I am next

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I guess I am next

Think again Scott . The next in line as it appears is…….. Mrs. Blue.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Blue, have you pulled the trigger yet????????

What was the outcome???

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Quote:

I can tell when a fish is an inch away from my hook. It is also much easier to determine the size and usually type of the fish with this unit as well.

That has to be the biggest exaggeration I’ve read yet How did you verify the fish was an inch from your hook??? Also I’d love to hear how the Marcum can distinguish the size and type of fish.

I realize your excited about your new purchase….but save the fairy tales for story time.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Chad, get an LX-5 and try it before come on here and basically call someone a liar. If you had a unit and tried it you would know what he is talking about. I don’t think anyone owes you an explanation. It is obvious you don’t understand the Super Fine Line display. It works exactly as he describes if you know how to read a flasher!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I can tell when a fish is an inch away from my hook. It is also much easier to determine the size and usually type of the fish with this unit as well.

That has to be the biggest exaggeration I’ve read yet How did you verify the fish was an inch from your hook??? Also I’d love to hear how the Marcum can distinguish the size and type of fish.

I realize your excited about your new purchase….but save the fairy tales for story time.

Well to be honest you can tell the type of fish you see on a Marcum LX-5.. When you are targeting walleyes you can tell when a bigger fish like a walleye vs a perch appears on the flasher. You can also tell when the fish is alot closer to your hook instead of further away. Also what Scott said, get a flasher and try it.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

WOW And I thought the debate between expandable vs. fixed blades was bad
    This is about the same thing. You are going to have the battles lines clearly drawn on this issue. Iwas a die hard vex user when they came out. I still think they are a great unit. But, in this industry progress is growing in leaps and bounds. If I had not seen the new Marcums with my own eyes, I would not have believed it myself Currently, I am using a borrowed flasher because I sild my Vex with my boat I am on the fence on what to prchase for this year. Everytime I go to Gander and see the flashers on display, I always get drawn to the Marcums. I am pretty sure that will be my next purchase I cannot afford the LX-5, nor do I really need one, but even the lower end models are unbelievable. I am not sponsored by either one, nor am I easily influenced from what I hear. Seeing is believing and believe me Marcums have seriously stepped up to the plate in the flasher technology.

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Scott…CHILL OUT DUDE, did I call him a liar….I think not. I said it was an exaggeration…..please look that up in the dictionary so you understand what the meaning is. So I guess if you now how to read a flasher the Marcum will tell you the difference between a small bottom hugging Walleye and a Jumbo Perch hugging the bottom. Wow……….you are right that is awesome.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I challenge all people who are on the fence about what unit to use to go to your local sporting goods store who carry your current flasher and one that has Marcum LX-5 as well. Run the demo mode, by simply turning on the flasher while holding down the zoom button. this will give you a demo mood and the rest is history.
    The only thing is when you are using the unit yourself it will not beep when a fish strikes, like it does in the demo mode. This might confuse a few people.

csp88
    Ankeny, Iowa

Quote:

It is obvious you don’t understand the Super Fine Line display

Here is an honest question for the Marcum followers. Why does Marcum even give you the option to switch from “Fine Line” to “Non Fine Line”?? I guess my question is if the “Fine Line” is the cat’s meow, then why not have it display in this mode all the time??

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.