Polk County fishing report

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

I had the pleasure of spending the weekend with my son fishing on Big Blake and Big Round in Polk County WI. We stayed at a relatives cabin in the area.
    Sat. afternoon and evening we fished the area above the narrows on Big Blake; the results were sporadic until getting closer to the narrows. Slightly deeper and more pronounced breaklines were the ticket. We found a pattern with Swedish Pimples and 2-3 waxies or minnow heads; either one was producing fair sized crappies and an occasional big sunny. Color didn’t seem to matter.

Sunday we headed to Big Round, and as I said in a posting in the WI. ice conditions, we drove right out to the spot. Sweeeet. Big Round was tough to say the least, it was damned cold and a lot of work for the the few fish we caught. It must have been the bright, clear sky and high pressure front that went through. (I was hoping for cloudy and snow). The Vex was marking all kinds of fish, but getting them to bite was tough, the Pimples produced a few, but even my #1 go-to presentation (waxie on an orange tear drop) only made 1 of them come to the ice.
    Anyone else have a similiar situation on Sunday? Or, was it just me?
    Even though the action on Sunday wasn’t what I’d hoped for, spending time with my son is what was important.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the report. Keep em comin guys.
    Thanks, Bill

marbles
    Northwest Wisconsin

I was on Big Round on Friday. I would second the opinion of it being slow. As of last weekend, I was told people were only driving four wheelers/snowmobiles on Bone. Some perch are being caught but not in the numbers they were last year; at least not yet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.